lonnie bells big country show 1982??

Post by Paul Wade »

found this on youtube. anybody know the steel players
and about this show??

p.w :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSicgHQq ... re=related
John Alexander

Post by John Alexander »

The show was shot in Billings, Montana, with local players and groups. The core of the show was a later incarnation of the Big Country band, of which John Humpherys (vocals/bass) and Frank Skidmore (vocals/guitar and fiddle) were original members who appear in the opening of this video, and also Jimmy Dressler, the drummer and vocalist who appears about 5 minutes into the video. The original steel player for Big Country was Frank Carter. Homer Simon is the steel player at the beginning of this video.
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

Homer Simon, steel player still around? I think he played in a band,called cooking country , with Bob Alexander ,as the lead singer.
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
John Alexander

Post by John Alexander »

Terry Kinnear wrote:Homer Simon, steel player still around? I think he played in a band, called cooking country, with Bob Alexander, as the lead singer.
I have not seen or heard from Homer in years, but here's a link to a blog that indicates he's moved back to Port Arthur, TX after spending 30 years in Montana:

http://www.guitarlessonsonvideo.com/blog/

He played fiddle and guitar as well as steel. Don't know if he's the same Homer Simon you referred to.
Terry Kinnear

Post by Terry Kinnear »

yes ,he played fiddle,lead guitar ,and steel, darn good, too !
Terry Kinnear [ steel wondering]
John Alexander

Post by John Alexander »

Agreed, and he was one who, if he went into the studio to do a recording, could be counted on to somehow play even better. I knew him pretty well, and played on stage with him many times. Didn't know about "Cooking Country" but it's funny because Homer made no secret about how much he enjoyed eating, and he would talk about what his wife had cooked for dinner. He said, "Eatin's my hobby!"
Bill OConnor

Lonnie Bell

Post by Bill OConnor »

I would sure like to get in contact again with you i remember the days around Anacortas wa. MT.Vernon etc. a guitar player named Roger told me you were in Montana i believe we are both in the same western swing hall of fame Seattle charter.
John Alexander

Re: Lonnie Bell

Post by John Alexander »

BILL OCONNOR wrote:I would sure like to get in contact again with you i remember the days around Anacortas wa. MT.Vernon etc. a guitar player named Roger told me you were in Montana i believe we are both in the same western swing hall of fame Seattle charter.
Bill, you must be thinking of someone else by the same name as me. Before I came to Montana I lived in Wyoming, and in California before that. I know there are some other John Alexanders in Montana, though I haven't heard about any that play steel guitar.
Cheryl Beechey

Hello, yes Homer Simon is still alive

Post by Cheryl Beechey »

I am one of Homer's daughters. He lives in Port Arthur Texas now. He has had some medical issues, but still plays when he can. He has played with many bands in his lifetime, been part of many bands. The band he was with when the Lonnie Bell shows were filmed was called Big Country.
John Alexander

Post by John Alexander »

Cheryl, thanks for updating us on Homer, and I am glad to hear he is alive and still playing some. My wife and I have a lot of good memories of Homer from years ago - we enjoyed his company, and of course he was and is a terrific musician.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Just received via email:
I was googling my father and noticed that people were wondering about him (lonnie bell topic). Please let them know my father resided in Groves ,Texas. Sadly, I just returned from spending a week with him in hospice. Due to a tragic mistake at the Houston VA hospital, he is quickly succumbing to organ failure. If any of your members are in southeast texas, they will be welcome to attend his funeral. He is a great musician... And a great man.
Charlotte Simon Whitney
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Alexander

Post by John Alexander »

Just a few days ago my wife and I were talking about Homer Simon. This is sad news indeed. :(