New Member-Shopping for 1st Steel ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Larry Campbell

New Member-Shopping for 1st Steel ?

Post by Larry Campbell »

Hello Everyone. New member New Player. I'm Larry from Little Rock,AR. Age 58. Will be playing in Church gospel band mostly. Been a guitar player and bass player for 45 years. Also been lurking for a while and ready to take the plunge. I have decided I definitely do not want to start out on Pedal Steel. The prices for the lap steels are all over the place. The price for the consoles and good lap steels are pretty close the same.
I like the Fender stringmasters. Recommendations for 1st steel,lap steel,console or just get a dobro ? Rickenbacker,National,Gibson,Oahu,Fender? New or Used ? Budget $500.00 to $750.00.
Thanks
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

Welcome Larry
Well you have come to the right place for opinions! You should be able to get something pretty nice for that price range. All those you have mentioned are good and have their own sound. I would say from my experience go with an eight string. My first was a six string but after a few months I realized I needed eight to do what I was trying to do. That's not to say there aren't some amazing six string players out there.
Watch the prices of things in the for sale section for awhile then you'll know when a good deal comes along. If you find something on Ebay ask the forum members what they think it is worth before you bid. Good luck!
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Larry,

If you're in a Chruch Gospel band, then take a lap steel over a Dobro so you can cut through the mix if you want to.

At first, 6 over 8 strings, just to keep it familiar while you're trying to used to playing on your lap and using a bar.

New or Used? How handy are you? Meaning, can you change out pots, etc by yourself? USED often means old(er), wear and tear, etc. However....if you know the person you are buying from keeps their steels in good+ condition, then USED is more than OK. In fact, it can be better than new.

As to NEW.....in your price range.....$500 gets you a steel from www.bluestemstrings.com. Good rep here on the Forum. Towards the top end of your price range, gets you a GeorgeBoards "Stealth" and IIRC, a Pettingill Cody Comet. Both excellent and well-made playing steels.

For me....when I buy a steel, I want to take it out of the box/case, tune it up and PLAY. I don't want to have to do anything to it except PLAY.
Larry Campbell

Post by Larry Campbell »

Stephen,
I can't find the Pettingill Cody Comet you referred to. Ive been looking at the GeorgeBoards and like there looks, but don't know what the IIRC is that you referred to. I agree with you,I don't want to waste my money on something OLD that doesn't work so I am leaning toward new. A lot of information to absorb for the novice ! Thanks for replying !
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Larry,
Here's the second thread that refers to the Pettingill Cody Comet....I couldnt' find the initial thread. :D

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

Sorry...IIRC stand for If I Recall Correctly. :)
Gary Stevenson

need a lap steel

Post by Gary Stevenson »

If you are interested, I have several lap steels for sale!I have one 8-string and the rest are six string. If interested send me a email and I will get pics ready to show what I have.Prices are from $300 to $500 depending on model.I have both single-coil and humbucker style pickups.Hope to hear from you. Gary