Unique Oahu Tonemaster 6 String Lap- PLEASE CLOSE, TRADED...

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Mark van Allen

Unique Oahu Tonemaster 6 String Lap- PLEASE CLOSE, TRADED...

Post by Mark van Allen »

Not for the faint of heart! Here's a one-of-a-kind lap steel with tone and features you'll never see again. At first I was kind of put off by the looks, but it really grew on me, and is one of the smokinest laps I've had or played.
It started life as one of the venerable Oahu Tonemaster 6 string lap steels. Somewhere along the line it lost it's original bridge, pickup, and controls. These have all been replaced with aftermarket parts, and a pretty well done job at that. Of course, this guitar no longer has any collector value at all... but these upgrades or changes have made this into a FANTASTIC player's instrument, especially for the rock or blues player! Great tone and sustain, just screams through an overdriven amp or overdrive pedal.

Body and neck have original finish. Back is scratched up as in photo. But has original tuners with intact (not crumbled) buttons, that work perfectly, original peghead overlay looks great. Original "rope style" binding on body in great condition, binding has been removed from around the neck.
As for the upgrades: There is a very nice solid tailpiece anchored to the body below a new round pickguard, that gives a look similar to the Music Man or Ernie Ball guitars and basses. There is a tune-o-matic type adjustable bridge anchored into the body through the pickguard, a single volume control pot with tele style chrome dome knob, and best of all, what appears to be a very rare vintage Bill Lawrence 510 pickup, the one Ronnie Montrose had Bill design for wider and cleaner output. It is a cranking pickup, noiseless of course, with a full rich clean sound and an absolutely smoking overdrive or distortion sound. The perfect lap steel for rock or driving blues styles, or a clean style with lots of headroom. $300 shipped to lower 48.
No case, but I can include a BRAND NEW fitted ultra padded gig bag of highest quality for $40.
Last edited by Mark van Allen on 2 Nov 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Manning

oahu lap steel

Post by Bill Manning »

email sent
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Sorry, Bill, this one got traded locally.