Lapdancer Redneck while standing?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jon Flynn

Lapdancer Redneck while standing?

Post by Jon Flynn »

Hi All. After seeing Steinar Gregertsen's recent post with his "Lapsquire" :whoa: (nice work, Steinar!), I began to wonder: Does anyone have any experience or opinions about playing these creations when standing? I've seen pics of Jerry Douglas playing them and the "angle of attack" so to speak, seems like it would be uncomfortable. Has anyone tried it? Looks like Jason Dumont of Lap King may have a solution. Has anyone tried that or a similar product/idea?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I guess it depends on the body to which you've attached the Redneck. I tested one with a Stratocaster type body and it wasn't very comfortable playing standing up unless you played "over the top" with the body against yours; almost like a vertical lap steel position.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

To my big surprise mine balances quite well without the help of any "support arm". It's probably a combination of the square edges of the Tele body and my own not so square edges.... :wink:
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I wonder if you could get one of those "harnesses" that Peavey uses with their lap steel?
That has sort of a three point suspension.
Heres mine:

Alexa Gomez

Post by Alexa Gomez »

I've adapted my little Pignose guitar for playing while standing by adding a bit of that rubbery stuff you line shelves with to the top bout with electrical tape, an additional strap pin at one of the screws holding on the jack plate, and running the strap dobro style at the neck with a little adapter string, as in the photos below.

I use this setup busking and its pretty comfy. I usually start out with the rubbery side nestled against my belly and, when I get a bit tired, may shift it to my hip. It doesn't slip at all, to the extent I don't have to run my picking hand under that strap but, instead, can just play from above, which just feels better.

Hope this helps, Jon. :D

Sister Alexa>SX Lap Pro>Rocktron Surf Tremolo>Pignose 7-100.

www.youtube.com/sisteralexa