Value of my Dad's Emmons LeGrande

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jay Mankie

Value of my Dad's Emmons LeGrande

Post by Jay Mankie »

Hi,

Heaven gained Richard "Dick" Mankie on April 27, 2010 after a long battle with cancer.

Dick was a 50 year steel player. We are trying to determine a value of his steel, Emmons LeGrande. Ser#184L

I have included pictures that do not show the pedals or knee levers hooked up.

Our questions are, "What is it, and what is it worth?" We are interested in selling it. Any help determining the value is greatly appreciated by Dick's widow and family.

Please email me with any help or info!

jay@genesiswireless.com

Thanks!
Jay
Image[/img]
Last edited by Jay Mankie on 26 Jun 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave McCarthy

Post by Dave McCarthy »

A little more info such as how many levers and pedals will get it closer. I would say roughly 2.5 - 3K.

-Dave
Jay Mankie

Post by Jay Mankie »

Thanks for the info. I'll try get a count on levers and pedals ASAP.

Jay
David Kellogg

Skh

Post by David Kellogg »

Looks like a SKH. I have 132L. Worth around 2500 cleaned up. Duane Dunard just sold a beauty here for $2450.
Jay Mankie

Post by Jay Mankie »

SKH? Is that the model? How do I verify?

:) We have no paperwork on the guitar. All we know is that it was purchased in the early 80's.

I'm thinking the guitar has 6 pedals and 3 knee levers.

I'll know more soon.

Jay
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Post a few photos of the under side. Someone here will likely tell you everything you want to know. SKH = short key head.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Jay Mankie

Post by Jay Mankie »

Thanks,

I'll try get some extra pictures posted.

Jay
~Gibson "freak"
Al Risbeck

LeGrande SKH

Post by Al Risbeck »

Looks like a Pentad pup on the C6 and a single coil on the E9 if it's a standard Emmons setup, I have SN 571L which is a SKH with Pentads on both necks. I also have a LeGrande II and the tone on the SKH is better than it or any of the 4 push/pulls I ever owned. $2400 would be a Steal on a Steel, lots of guitars are going cheap because of the economy,it's worth $3000 or better in good times, JMHO

AL
David Kellogg

Skh

Post by David Kellogg »

An easy tell is the keyheads are 2 piece, there is a slit down the middle. Keyhead is the end where the knobs are. Probably 8 pedals and 5 knees.
Al Risbeck

Skh

Post by Al Risbeck »

David I thought I could see the split in the keyhead, but it really isn't that clear. That should be one of Jack Strayhorn built Steels I believe. I know he built both of mine. My LLII is a '98.

Al
Jay Mankie

Re: Skh

Post by Jay Mankie »

David Kellogg wrote:An easy tell is the keyheads are 2 piece, there is a slit down the middle. Keyhead is the end where the knobs are. Probably 8 pedals and 5 knees.
I did just get a verbal. It is 8 pedals and 5 knee levers. I am getting pictures posted ASAP.

Thanks all,

Jay
~Gibson "freak"
Jay Mankie

Post by Jay Mankie »

Just confirmed pedal config with Dick's wife.

It's definitely 8 pedals and 6 knee levers.

Thanks all for your patience.

Jay
~Gibson "freak"
John McGuire

Post by John McGuire »

It is a first model Legrande with the 4 hole bellcranks unless someone changed them. I have 175l from the early 80's. It is a very good guitar and should be worth betweem 2800- 3200 based on what others have sold for in the past. The SKH short key head was not ever an Emmons model marketed by Emmons as such it is more of a nick name given by players depicting the shorter than normal keyhead on this model.The body is based on a modified push/ pull body.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

these are the first 'all-pull' models that the emmons company made...around early '80.. before these they just made the 'push-pull' model.
very good guitar...around $3000 on a very good day. i feel for you cause my daughter will be asking questions like this when i die, and i hope people treat her with respect.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Underside pics?

bob
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Looks like a SKH. I have 132L. Worth around 2500 cleaned up. Duane Dunard just sold a beauty here for $2450.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that figure.

Beauty is in the "eye" of the beholder. BUT, the money is in the pocket! And money is not flowing easily these days.

I'm going to have to say 2000.00 plus shipping.

Max.

Or, make someone a deal and do 2050.00 shipped.

Things just arent moving these days.

I realise that you were probably thinking, "hey this is an Emmons, it should be worth 4000.00 or more"

Maybe you were thinking about the connection with Buddy Emmons.

Reality is: there are very, very, very few guitars worth 4000.00!

A person may pay 4 grand or more for a new guitar, only to find out he will be lucky to get half of his money back later on down the road.

:(
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I would place a value of $2500.00 on this guitar. I as a dealer would expect to pay about $2300.00 for it to leave me a small profit margin.
Jerry