Newbe question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Henry Songer

Newbe question

Post by Henry Songer »

Hi, I am a newbe both to steel guitars and to the forum. I recently bought a West Coast 8 string lap steel and am learning on it. Eventually I would like to build my own multi-neck and am trying to decide on a solid body or a built up one similar to a pedal steel. If any one can give me the pros and cons of each I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot. Henry (Lefty)
James Kerr

Post by James Kerr »

Welcome to the Forum Henry.

I build my own steels too and it gives me a lot of pleasure, as I'm sure it will bring to you too. When making something for yourself, there is only one person to please, you. So what other people may think has no real bearing on what you end up making.

A solid built Multineck is going to be very heavy and need legs. For ideas on design there is no better place to look than the pages of the late Rick Alexander, a former member here. :-

http://rickalexander.com/BigSteel/

You will find a mine of information here including Music Mp3 Scroll right down to Rick's Museum for photos of his collection, lots of ideas there, you will find Solid Build and Built up designs there.

James.
Henry Songer

home built steels

Post by Henry Songer »

Thanks for the input James. I guess my real question is which would have the best sustain.
Henry