shobud help

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck Roach

shobud help

Post by Chuck Roach »

ShoBud Restorers
I have just joined the forum and need some help. I am working on a Pro III and have cleaned it up and now need to reassemble it right. I need to know how far to thread the nylon collars onto the pull rod and then how much play, if any , I leave in the pull rod when tightning to the bell crank. I know these two variables have to be adjusted right before tuning the pedal. Is there anything else I need to check so it will tune properly. I need all the help I can get on putting this bud back together right.
thanks
chuck
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

#1- I would start with about 3 turns on the rod, which is about the diameter of the rod. Using the principle of any machine bolt or nut. #2 After you tune the open string, Just leave a wee bit of slackbetween the nylon, and the metal tuner. Then tighten the rod to the bell crank, and tune the pull. That is only a average setting, and you might have to adjust from there. It is very simple to do.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

Chuck , where are you located in Missouri?
I just finished a Pro 111 and learned a lot along the way. there are a lot of little things that can be real challenging along the way. thank goodness I have some close friends that help out when I get in a pinch
Chuck Roach

Post by Chuck Roach »

Jack:
I am a in Sedalia Missori. Your name sounds very familar.Where are you located?
Ronnie I have located a Sho Bud owners manual and it says when changing the pull rods to be sure the nylon tuner is flush with the end of the rod. It also says to pull the nylon tuner snug against the changer, but everybody I have ask says to little a little slack in the rod.I guess I will experiment.