The Authorized Buddy Emmons Biography

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fish

The Authorized Buddy Emmons Biography

Post by Fish »

I’m pleased to announce that I am in the early stages of research for a book about Buddy Emmons. Buddy has authorized this project and has graciously granted me unprecedented access. Through his spoken and written recollections, I hope to tell the complete story of Buddy’s countless discoveries, inventions and innovations – both musical and mechanical – on the modern pedal steel guitar as we now know it, as well as chronicle the many changes in country music he’s witnessed since his arrival in Nashville during the summer of 1955 to join Little Jimmy Dicken’s band The Country Boys.

I’m deeply humbled that Buddy has given me his “blessing” for this assignment, and I intend to work as hard as I can to get his story right. My background includes playing steel with Emmylou Harris and Commander Cody, freelancing for Guitar Player magazine and producing records for country artists like Radney Foster, The Mavericks, Albert Lee and Pam Tillis. Buddy has honored me many times by agreeing to play on sessions I've produced, and those moments were distinct highlights in my career.

My goal is to write this story from a universal perspective so that anyone could pick up the book and learn something they didn’t know about country music, the non-pedal and pedal steel guitar and most importantly, Buddy’s role in this rich American cultural history. I expect this project to take at least a year to complete. For that reason, I won’t be lurking here as often as I would prefer.

The Steel Guitar Forum is a one-of-a-kind resource for ideas, historical perspective and great stories about Buddy and his steel guitar playing. In fact, Buddy’s responses to questions in the “Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises” thread are what kicked this project to the next level. So, at some point in the future I will call upon all of you for help with photos, recollections, and eye-witness accounts of early Buddy Emmons sightings on the road with the likes of Little Jimmy Dickens, Ernest Tubb, George Jones, Ray Price, Roger Miller, the Every Brothers, and more. It’s too early for this now; however, please start digging through those old photos and jotting down those old memories for us. You never know what you might turn up (like a rare view from the audience of Buddy onstage with Ernest Tubb or Ray Price in the early 60's) that could be useful in the book.

And please tell your friends and family about the project. Through the forum’s help we can spread the word about Buddy’s upcoming story so that it reaches as many people as possible and ultimately winds up on every library bookshelf possible.

thanks to everyone and special thanks to b0b and the Steel Guitar Forum,

Steve Fishell
Last edited by Fish on 28 Mar 2010 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Hats off to you, Steve. I'll be the first one in line! :D
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I'm right there in line with Barry. :)
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Thats great Fish ! I can hardly wait to read your work..Thanks Big E...
Hook
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Steve, please put me in line for a book
Good luck with your project!
Bent
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Steve, I cannot think of a more anticipated event in the music world, much less the steel guitar world. Congratulations on receiving the honor, I cannot wait to read it!

Joe Rogers
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Steve...

Best of luck with this exciting project - I can't imagine it being in better hands!

And a huge 'Thank You!' to Buddy for agreeing to participate in something that promises to be a landmark event in American music history.

Now I can't wait!!!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

This is 'Beautiful!
A.K.A Chappy.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I'm saving up my coins for this one! :whoa:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Austin Tripp

Post by Austin Tripp »

In my opinion this is bigger than the Super Bowl!! Thank you so much Steve for you research and dedication towards the book. I can't wait to get my copy. Any autographed copies by any chance?
"Hotrod"
Steel guitarist for Cody Jinks
Member CMA
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Fish,
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the trip as much as I did writing and publishing Reece Anderson's biography.
Fred
Sonny Priddy

Buddy

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I'm In Line For One. SONNY.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Excellent news! Take your time, but hurry up! ;)
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Excellent! Can't wait to read it!
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Mike Kowalik

bok about the Big E......

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Glad to see this is happening.....I'll definitely buy a copy!!
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Put me down for one!!!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

we all want one. you'll be a rich man, steve. will wayne goodwin be mentioned? i'm still concerned about him.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I look forward to reading it.
Bernie Gonyea

The Buddy Emmons Story

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :roll: :)

Steve : By all means, save me a copy of such a book on our Buddy; will be waiting with abated breath for such a master-piece..Can't wait..Bernie :whoa: :whoa: :roll: :D :D
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Frank Harris

Emmons

Post by Frank Harris »

PUT ME DOWN FOR A COPY TOO, A WELL DESERVED BOOK
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

This is super news!
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Alright!!! Looking forward to it! :)
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

Well Steve,
I'm one that can wait cause I want you to take your time and be sure and get it right. So I'm waiting with tense anticipation. Good luck. And Buddy You sure got us all in a tither he he.
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

Great News! I'm looking forward to buying a couple of copies of this book.
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

This is the best news I had in a LONG time.