Using Band-in-a-Box Commercially

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Alan Brookes

Using Band-in-a-Box Commercially

Post by Alan Brookes »

Does anyone do the following, and, if they do, does it infringe copyrights ?

[1] Play in front of an audience, using a BIAB backing track.

[2] Sell CDs of yourself playing steel, using BIAB backing tracks.

[3] Post recordings on an internet site of yourself playing steel, using BIAB backing tracks.

[4] Broadcast yourself on radio or television, playing, using a BIAB backing track.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

The BIAB folks say whatever you do with BIAB is not copyrighted by them. Use it as you choose.
However, if you use it to play a copyrighted song for money, I think that's a different horse. The BIAB people don't care, but the copyright owner might.
heavily medicated for your safety
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Ken is correct.

FWIW, I've done all of the above except radio broadcast, as far as I know.
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Darrell Owens

Recording with BIAB

Post by Darrell Owens »

Alan,

It is not HOW you record it, but about HOW you use it.

If you record and use a BIAB track for your own performance, the "house" (or wherever you play) probably has a license that covers such performances. If you play it on the radio, the radio station has a license that covers the performance.

If you record the song and sell it on a CD. In the "REAL WORLD' you are probably not going to have anyone chasing you down for the royalties because the number of copies you are making is small, BUT they could, and you would be required to pay the royalties on each song for each CD that you sell.

Further info on this can be found by contacting BMI or ASCAP.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Papa Joe Pollick

Re: Recording with BIAB

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Darrell Owens wrote:Alan,

It is not HOW you record it, but about HOW you use it.

If you record and use a BIAB track for your own performance, the "house" (or wherever you play) probably has a license that covers such performances. If you play it on the radio, the radio station has a license that covers the performance.

If you record the song and sell it on a CD. In the "REAL WORLD' you are probably not going to have anyone chasing you down for the royalties because the number of copies you are making is small, BUT they could, and you would be required to pay the royalties on each song for each CD that you sell.

Further info on this can be found by contacting BMI or ASCAP.
I would think the royalties would be due to the owners of the song..BIAB shouldn't be concerned.
Darrell Owens

BIAB Tracks

Post by Darrell Owens »

Maybe I was not clear. I meant to say, regardless of HOW you record a song, BIAB, Logic, ProTools, etc. Royalties are due the publisher or owner of the copyright on any song you record and make copies available for purchase, whether in person, online etc.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Yes, I realize that the songs themeselves are copyrighted: it was using Band-in-a-Box as backing that I was specifically inquiring about.

In reality, though I've had copies of BIAB on the my computers since the programme first came out, and I've continually updated them, including all the instrument and style adds-on, etc., I've always chosen to record all the instruments in my backings myself, rather than rely on the computer and someone else's artistry. I just use BIAB for practice and for my own entertainment.
basilh

Post by basilh »

This is only a rough mix of 2 of 14 tracks on the new album by Bob Brolly (MBE) and myself.
The Piano is also myself. (I was asked by someone who thought it may have been BIAB .)
NO it doesn't YET have the facility to copy piano licks from a record, but I do..

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets ... %20MIX.mp3

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets ... %20MIX.mp3

Emmons 1970 D10 Profex to Apogee Rosetta 200 (A/D) via Focusrite ISA 430 MKII Producer Pack to Mac Pro with Logic Pro. All at 192Khz 24 bit. My Acc gts were Martin D-41, Taylor 814Ce. AND BIAB.
The BIAB aiff samples up-convert extremely well.
Last edited by basilh on 12 Apr 2010 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
basilh

Post by basilh »

These are earlier examples of my use of BIAB Commercially.
I use BIAB for the foundation of commercial recording work that I do and I have done so since it's inception in 1989.
THIS album was produced/engineered/arranged/played most instruments by myself in 1990.
USING BIAB, a sound canvas Casio PG-380 midi guitar and whatever was in my sitting room in the way of recording equipment.

The Spanish Night is over
Blue Ridge Mountain Girl
Come Home to Belfast Town
Somebody Lied
Ramblin' Rose
Makin' Believe
The Band Played an Old Time waltz
Be Nobody's Darlin' but Mine
Island in the Sun
Funny Familiar Medley
Just enough to Keep me Hangim' on
Ol' What's His Name
Just a Closer Walk With Thee
Just as Long as You Love Me

Superb Singer from the Irish Showband Scene Roly Daniels.