Raising the height to accommodate the knees of 6’ 6” player

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Zaikowski

Raising the height to accommodate the knees of 6’ 6” player

Post by David Zaikowski »

I’m new to the forum, 6’ 6 “, and don’t yet own a pedal steel. I play dobro, lap steel, and bottleneck, but want to make the next step to the pedals. Here’s my question to you experts: How difficult is it to raise the instrument 2”? There are so many beautiful guitars being sold through the forum, but I don’t know whether I can buy one and then easily adjust the height. I would very much appreciate your collective thoughts. Thanks.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

David...Welcome....Raising the height of the legs is relatively easy. A section of PVC with an inside diameter slightly larger than the LOWER tube of the guitar legs and cut into two inch sections should work nicely. Place the PVC sections on the front legs between the pedalboard and the adjusting nut (commonly referred to as the "clutch"). The pedal rods will require extenders or the purchase of longer rods. Some steel guitar shops have complete lift kits available, depending on which brand of guitar you choose.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Well, a full set of extension rods and either longer legs or leg extensions is in order. There are a number of places to get them, regarding the rods you pretty much have to be zeroed in on a specific steel to get the correct type. The legs socket size is nearly universal. Do a forum search for "extension + legs, + rods" etc. - "longer legs, rods"... Look in the accessories "For Sale" section too, to get an idea on price. Steel Guitar Nashville, Billy Cooper's in Virginia, Scotty's in St. Louis, and others in this vendors list can find you what you'll need:
http://b0b.com/links/stores.html

If you're handy with tools you can take a shot at making your own extension rods - they're just bent, threaded rod stock, but you might be better off putting your time in to playing.... you absolutely want to save the old rods and legs too, believe it or not steel guitarists sometimes decide to change brands and you'll want to sell it to a "normal." :lol:
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

David,

There is a way to measure how high the guitar needs to be. The size of guitars has been a thorn in my side since I started. I'm 6'4" and I lift mine 2", you might need more. When I bought my first steel, from Carter, they sugested that I use a "low boy" volume pedal. Goodrich L-120 is the one I have and it's about 2" thick. So, you sit on a chair, add books under your bum until your knees are 90 degrees, then put a piece of 2x4 under your right foot (if you are right handed) and measure to the top of your knee. I think there needs to be another inch or so added. this gives you the distance from the floor to the bottom of the guitar aprons. I have raised 3 guitars, more modern legs are extendable, and hold OK, older ones need the dowel-rod method. My old Sho~Bud was a dowel deal, it took a little effort to get it level. Pedal-rod extenders can be had from Bobbe Seymour.I made my own with parts from the hardware store.

Someone probably has a simpler way. 2" might work, if you rais the back legs a bit more than the front...so it's tilted forward. Hope this is at all useful.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Zach Keele

Post by Zach Keele »

I'm 6'4" and I just make it work stock. I raise the back legs a little more than most so that it leans forward a little. I don't have any problems. I also usually wear shoes, but do wear boots occasionally. I'd just get a guitar and try it. If it's too low, then you can raise it by ordering a lift kit or making new rods. People do it all the time. If not, just play and go on. I do tend to wear the knees out of my jeans a lot quicker now.
Scott Shewbridge

Post by Scott Shewbridge »

Hi David. I'm a newbie and tall too (6'4"). Tom Bradshaw (whom I shill for occaisionally because he's been good to me) made long legs on the Sho-Bud he sold me. He used standard, heavy duty chromed extension microphone stands, which I think is pretty typical.

For me, the most important thing he did was to have the external part of the front legs long enough for the crossbar fittings to rest against the tightening barrel, so the bar doesn't float up when using the pedals. Either that, or put a collar or fixed bracket on to keep the bar in place. If you get the long legs, you'll also have to get extensions for the pedal rods. It's all pretty straight forward metal work, if that doesn't scare you.

Similar advice to above - if you do get the longer legs and rods, keep the old ones. It'll make it easier to sell the guitar later if you advance or stagnate (the jury's still out on me, love the music and people though).

David Zaikowski

many thanks

Post by David Zaikowski »

I haven't looked carefully at all of your suggestions yet, but I obviously made the right choice in joining the forum for help & support. Cheers guys, and thanks for your time and thoughts!
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

Also, if you got a single neck on a double body (SD-10 or 12) there is more room to fit your knees if you go the 2" raise, and tilt forward route.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

David Z. Here's a shot of me and my steel at a gig last week with the extensions visible on my steel. Like David Nugent mentioned, I cut a couple of pieces off of a short length of PVC pipe to about 1" and covered them with shiny metal tape and put them over the legs right above the pedal bar. I also bought 8 of those rod extensions from Billy Cooper in Orange, Va. and put them on to lengthen the pedal rods. I've had mine "raised" for about 5 years now and I love it. I'm only 6'4" tall so you might need a little more height for your guitar. Good luck, JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!