Volume Pedals

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Arthur Herrmann

Volume Pedals

Post by Arthur Herrmann »

What do forumites recommend for volume pedals? I was using a fender reissue volume and tone pedal but it got increasingly noisy and now barely works (after a year of only moderate use). Want to replace it with another unit as I use volume swells in my playing from time to time and it is just convenient to be able to control volume levels while you perform. Any recommendations?
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

Does it just need a new pot?
Josh Cho

try a Hilton.

Post by Josh Cho »

I highly recommend the Hilton Volume Pedals that can be bought right here on the forum in the Accessories section.

I sold mine due to non-use in my Hawaiian genre, but it was the best pedal I have ever owned, quality construction and 99.9% transparent.

Check them out.

Josh
Kristian Meisling

Telonics Pedal

Post by Kristian Meisling »

I have bought more volume pedals than the law allows since my old favorite ZB Custom pedal started to fail a few years ago. I recently bought a Telonics pedal through Tom Bradshaw's PSG Products, and it is the most fantastic pedal...just unbelievably good...high-tech...bullet-proof construction...adjustable tapers to emulate various well-known pedals...adjustable friction...adjustable zero point...dead quiet...no pot...not optical, but electronic motion-sensor based...adjustable everything...comes in two heights...has a power-cord...it's quite expensive, but it's the holy grail as far as I am concerned. I highly recommend downloading the product manual and reading about it...here's the link...my second choice would be a Hilton optical pedal...

http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/telonics_pedals.php
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

Never had a chance to try a Goodrich or Hilton - if you are looking for a lower-priced model, check out the George Dennis vol. pedals, I love those for their smooth taper. And stay away from Morley Pro Series (on/off-switches in vol. pedal-disguise...)
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

What do forumites recommend for volume pedals?
None!!! Play without volume pedals. Remember the days before the volume pedal and how the steel guitar sounded. Priceless! 8)

Aloha, :)
Don
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

Don Kona Woods wrote:
None!!! Play without volume pedals. Remember the days before the volume pedal and how the steel guitar sounded. Priceless! 8)

Aloha, :)
Don
Don:

They did do volume swells with the control knobs- does that count?

Ahola,
Steve :whoa:
Arthur Herrmann

Post by Arthur Herrmann »

Thanks for the suggestions. My pedal probably does just need a new pot but if I can't replace it inexpensively, I may look into getting a new, more reliable alternative. I am a bit miffed that the Fender conked out in less than a year from light use. The Hilton sounds pricey but the Dennis is a possibility.
Roman Sonnleitner

Don Kona Woods wrote:
Actually, you don't even need a steel guitar - remember the days before lap steels, and how beautiful those cavemen sounded, banging those rocks together? Priceless!

Oooogah-booogah!
Gene Warner

Post by Gene Warner »

I have one of the original Fender pedals. Does anyone know if the potentiometer in the new re-issued ones fits the original, and if it's available from Fender, or through Fender dealers.
Gene Warnerr
Ed Altrichter

What am I missing ?

Post by Ed Altrichter »

I play my MSA SuperSlide through a Peavey Nashville
112 amp and the sound is great. Will someone please describe what it is that I'm missing by not using a volume pedal ? (A few "swells" now and then doesn't seem to justify the cost. ) Ed
Roman Sonnleitner

Well, it depends on what style of music you're playing, and what kind of sounds you're wanting to make - I use my lap steel a bit like a keyboard in my band, eg. providing "pads" - and a great effect is eg. hitting harmonics on a couple of strings with the vol. pedal fully closed, than slowly opening it up for an ethereal effect; it is also great for doing the pedal steel-"endless sustain" trick - turn up the volume on the amp so that you have your "regular" playing volume with the vol. pedal closed down 2/3rds of the way; you play a note that way, and when it starts to fade, you slowly open the vol. pedal to keep the note sustaining for a very long time.
But I also keep it for matching the volumes of my Telecaster, Danelectro baritone, and lap steel, which, for convenience I all play through the same effects/amp rig - but they all have very different output levels, so I use the vol. pedal for matching all of them to produce the same loudness.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Over many years have used Fender,Sho-bud,Goodrich,but the MOST dependable one is an OLD Dunlop Hi Gain. No strings to break,unlike the others has the original pot,NEVER a scratch in it.solid as a rock,If it ever bites the dust can buy a new one for eighty bucks. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !