"Hybrid" String Set?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Griffin

"Hybrid" String Set?

Post by David Griffin »

I hate to be obsessive about strings,but I've had an idea. I like the sound of stainless steel wound strings but hate the way SS unwound strings sound(too strident for my tastes). Has anyone ever tried using nickel unwound string w/ SS wound on the bottom? I'm gonna try it myself soon,just wondering if anyone has tried that. I'm wondering if they might sound "unbalanced"? Any opinions out there?Thanx>>>dg
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

The nickel/stainless only applies to the windings. All of the plain gauge strings I've ever seen are plain steel, regardless of whether or the wound strings are nickel or stainless.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Jonathan is correct. All unwound strings -- whether in nickel or stainless sets or purchased separately are made from plain steel 'music wire'. And the nickel or stainless wrap is wound on a core of the same material although some do use a hexagonal music wire core.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

My bad! :oops: . It's strange that I seem to hear a difference in the two,but,I SWEAR I do! Could it be the the way the two different types of wound strings interact with the plain strings? Either that or I just have a tin ear! :eek: Maybe that's my problem. I do seem to hear more highs than most people. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Scott Appleton

thin

Post by Scott Appleton »

High strings are my problem too .. with the right eq and amp the problem
goes away .. I think we get more sensitive to highs as we get older ..
I know i cant hear them as some people can so I need to watch I don't turn
the treble up too high .. Your Highs may vary ..