Jeff Newman Course

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Malcolm Carmichael II

Jeff Newman Course

Post by Malcolm Carmichael II »

Can someone recommend a Jeff Newman Course for a complete beginner :?:
Joe Gretz

Jeff Newman advise

Post by Joe Gretz »

Malcolm,

I would recommend looking at the Jefran web site, and reviewing some of scope the courses. Some may be more appropriate for your level of experience, but off the cuff I would recommend "Pedal Steel Guitar 101". It is a discounted package that contains "Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques" and "The Right Hand Alpha". I cannot overstress the importance of RH Alpha! Great place to start for E9.

"Up From The Top AB Pedals" is GREAT too!

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with ANY of Jeff's courses, the only caveat would be whether or not they are appropriate to your present playing level.

Maybe give Fran a call and ask her to send you the catalog, it has better descriptions of the courses than the web site, and all of the prices are more up to date. You can reach her at (704) 543-6059.

I'm sure lots of other folks will chime in with their experiences concerning this great material! If you have any specific questions, just post em! :)

Joe
Dattebayo!!!
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

i don't care what anyone says , i don't think "up from the top " is the best choice for a complete beginer

i think it is a great NEXT step

but i think one like " just play the melody " would be a better 1st step
just my 2 cents
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Rick Schacter

Get Right Hand Alpha

Post by Rick Schacter »

I cannot overstress the importance of RH Alpha! Great place to start for E9.

I agree with this.
Right Hand Alpha seems to be helping me out a lot.

If you don't have the Winnie Winston book yet, I would recommend getting a copy of that too.

Rick
Shane Glover

Post by Shane Glover »

Hi Malcom

I am sure any Newman course will help you along. I found Give me an Intro to be of great help. If you are playing in a band it will give you some ideas you can use right now. And Jeff presents the material in a way you don't have to think about all the theory behind it. A couple session with Give me an Intro & you will actually be making music!! Just my 2 cents !!

Good Luck
Shane
Buncha CRAP !! But someday Ima get me some good gear !!
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

RH alpha and pedal steel guitar techniques are both for beginners, lots of talk about how to pick, how to use the bar, and volume pedal. I think they sell them on a deal if you get them together. I also feel Winnie Winstons book and Scotties Anthology of the pedal steel guitar are must haves as well.
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS