Choice

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robert Harper

Choice

Post by Robert Harper »

If you woke up tomorrow and had the money to pay cash for a new guitar, what would you buy? When I say new guitar, new to you not necessarily off the floor new
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first begin to deceive" Someone Famous
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Show-Pro SD10 in two-tone blue and blonde lacquer.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I assume you mean any guitar so I would buy a D10 MSA Millennium.........mind you I would keep my two CARTERS but would like to pick on that MSA for awhile.
Last edited by Roual Ranes on 3 Jan 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Bull

Post by Jerry Bull »

I would buy a twin to my Carter except I would get the polished package.
www.psgpicker@gmail.com (Sierra Crown D-10 keyless)2-Nashville 112's, Steelers Choice, Hilton VP, Digitech RP150, Bobro, GeorgeL's cables, BJS Bars and Picks.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I'd buy a Sho-Bud Pro D10 which had been Cooped and had at least five pedals and four knee levers. 8) :D

Of course, if I had an unlimited budget I would design my own pedal steel to my own specifications, and have an expert build it. 8) It would have a wider string separation, about like a Stringmaster, and the pedals and knee levers would be in the same position as my legs and knees. (Most PSGs don't seem to have been designed with my dimensions in mind...) :lol:
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

A lacquer Emmons P/P with wood necks set up by Bobby Bowman.
If it HAD to be new a 63 Madison Sho-Pro

This is going to be a fun thread.
Danny Hall

Post by Danny Hall »

Alan Brooks makes a good point. I don't know enough to make much of an educated guess but if I woke up with that kind of money, I think I'd fly to Texas and have a sitting with the good folks at Rains and have them build me a polished green lacquer SD-10 to fit.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings. Ok, well maybe one of the last. Oh alright then, a perfectly ordinary slacker.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

That's a toughie, I like Emmons,but with some of the stories that I have heard. I also like the Mullen, If I go with a Mullen, I would have to see who would give me the best price, Herbie or Mickey. I also like the Rains. Or might even go with the Carter. They are all great guitars. Some many decisions. So little time.
Tommy Shown
Robert Harper

Emmons

Post by Robert Harper »

There is without a doubt something different about an Emmons. I don't know if it was a push pull or what, but I was at Fulton Mississippi and I heard a vast difference between the Emmons and others Not saying better or worse just different. Does anyone make a push pull now?
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first begin to deceive" Someone Famous
Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

I did that last May when I bought my Williams. S-12 extended E9th, 700 Series, five pedals and five knees, curly maple body and neck with natural lacquer finish. If I woke up tomorrow with loads of money I'd buy another identical one so I wouldn't have to pack and unpack every time I have a gig...
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

This one

for more info click here
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'd somehow persuade Jon Graboff to part with his blue carbon fiber-finish JCH D-10. That's the prettiest steel I've ever seen, and it is a JCH, after all!

A pipe-dream, of course; he'd never part with it....
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Well, since I already have a clear lacquer custom shop Carter D10 ("Blondie"), plus a beautiful black mica Fessenden D12 ("Blackie"), I'd have great difficulty choosing between a Zumsteel D10 or a Mullen Royal Precision D10, maybe with wood necks...or even one of Mickey Adams' pre-RP Mullen resorations. I have a great desire to own one or perhaps both of those brands at some time in my life.

The reality is there are so many truly great steels out there to choose from this becomes a very personal and agonising decision. Fortunately the scenario outlined is purely hypothetical.

For many of us, so are our choices on this matter.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

MSA Legend or Mullen D-10, not sure about which of them.... I love both :D
Justin Griffith

Re: Emmons

Post by Justin Griffith »

Robert Harper wrote:There is without a doubt something different about an Emmons. I don't know if it was a push pull or what, but I was at Fulton Mississippi and I heard a vast difference between the Emmons and others Not saying better or worse just different. Does anyone make a push pull now?
I think you can get a new Promat, which is a dead ringer for an Emmons P/P. I have never seen one up close nor played one, but I have heard good things about them.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Seeing as money is no object (right?), I think I'll also get one of those immaculate push/pulls that Tommy Cass occasionally shows us here on the Forum.

I'd like 8+8, black, and I'd probably keep it at home rather than thrashing it on the road. Oh, and I'd like one old enough to have one of those very cool stick-on logos....
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

showpro :D and I agree with Roger. That JCH !!!!
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I hope Jon will forgive me 'pirating' this picture from an old Forum thread....

This is what I'd like - if not, I'll take a black one.

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

And here's the other steel I had in mind... (apologies to Tommy Cass in this case.)
b0b

Post by b0b »

I like so many of the modern guitars. It's hard to choose! Right now I'd gravitate towards an S-10 with 5+5 and a dark, pretty wood finish. Carter and Jackson are at the top of my list lately, but it changes from week to week. So many guitars, so little time.

I just got a new guitar recently, a Desert Rose S-8. Really nice! And I also have a Williams D-12 crossover and a Sierra Olympic S-12 that are really wonderful. Always looking for something different, though, and then there's no money for a while. :\
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

If I could find the guitars: an Emmons Wrap Around, a Sho-Bud Permanant, and a Bigsby (I'll settle for a Clinesmith or a Wright Custom if I can't find a Bigsby). Time to pass the pipe.
Last edited by Cliff Kane on 3 Jan 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Malone

Barry and Larry

Post by Brad Malone »

I'm with Barry and Larry, Even though I have a Williams 600 series S10WB: My fist choice would be one like Barry Hyman has a Williams S-12 extended E9th 700 series, my second would be a Show-Pro, my third would be an Excel, like Carl Dixion has, then a Mullen G2, then a Rains...wow, I guess I have to win the lottery...you can't make that much money working on the clock.
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Roger you are killing me. I have an SD10 hybrid Zum I might sell if I could find either one of those. :\
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

MSA all the way, there's always room for one more. :)
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

1 Rittenberry
2 Sho-Pro
3 Zum
4 Dekley
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.