Robert Randolph/Austin City Limits/This weekend on KCET in t

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

ajm

Robert Randolph/Austin City Limits/This weekend on KCET in t

Post by ajm »

See message title.

I believe that the show is on Sunday at 5:00 PM our time, but you should confirm for yourself.

I'm posting this because it seems as though it's a rare occurrence when ACL is on out here.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Artie McEwan
ajm

Post by ajm »

PS - I also see that it's on Channel 24 KVCR on our area as well, on Saturday night.
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I've been waiting to see Robert Randolph on Austin City Limits ever since somebody mentioned it awhile back. It usually comes on channel 13 on Sunday evening at 6 here in East Texas but the last couple of weeks they've been showing something else on 13. Sure hope I can get it somewhere. Thanks

Rick Garrett
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I'm waiting to catch it here in Michigan, supposed to be 11:30 ET. Hope I get it...al Image Image
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Caught Robert Randolph on Channel 8 PBS from Houston at 10:30 PM. Awesome. He also wore a black derby hat. Jody.
Al Burk

Post by Al Burk »

My son recorded ACL for me last night and waited up for me after a gig last night. We both watched it til early in the morning. Robert knows how to put on a show.

Al B.
Bob Strum

Post by Bob Strum »

What was that guitar he was playing...dancing...swinging with? What a ball of energy! Regards, Bob
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

Bob, That was a FESSENDEN. I bet them strings are still warm.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I haven't seen the show yet, but he plays the dog$h!t out of a purple 13 string Fessenden. Image Image

All you Dallas area pickers, set your VCR. RR is listed to be on ACL tonight at 6 PM on channel 13! Image
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

I saw the show and Mr. Randolph was really great - dancing, singing, and playing that were absolutely mesmerizing. I couldn't tear myself away.

I have a question, though - does he use any of the pedals any of the time? Or is it a great big (and very impressive) 13-string "virtual lapsteel" that he's playing?

Great playing and way to take the steel out of the box!
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I didn't see him using the pedals but could hear many 4-1 changes that must have been done with the A&B pedals. I saw him use his RKR and LKV knee levers too.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Yes, Larry, his style and tuning are more lap steel than pedal steel. I watched him in Philly at the North Star bar, where they have a balcony right over the stage and you can look right down on his hands and feet. He plays a 13 string E7 tuning (see the Carter site for his copedent). He uses a grooved bar and only occassionally hits a pedal or a knee. There are no ABC pedals. It's not an E9 tuning. But his tuning has everything he needs for his fantastic blues-Gospel. It's a whole different thing than country and western pedal steel. I only wish there were more people like Robert who can show what the steel guitar can do with different kinds of music.
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Got to see the RR show last night. Man that guy knows how to pick huh. Guess he looked about as comfortable behind his guitar as anyone I ever saw. Im not into some of the music he played but I am very much into the way he played it. Some great blues licks in there. Play on RR!!

Rick Garrett
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

Don't YA think he reminds ya a little bit of Billy Robinson with the right hand? If he ever made a mistake you'd never know it. Now I'm Wait'in to see Billy dance like he does>>>>>>> LOL

That Billy is one fine>>>>> GENTLEMAN!!!