what glue for MOP?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

what glue for MOP?

Post by Stan Paxton »

On my beloved old lacquer Mullen 1 of the Mother of Pearl stripes in front has come loose about 8-10 inches long area. These inlays are very close fitting, so wonder if anyone can tell me what is the best glue to use to put it back right. And any helpful advise for doing it right. ..
Thanks, and Happy & Blessed New Year to all
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I've had pretty good luck with 3M's spray adhesive. I used it to fix the loose rope binding on my old Oahu lap steel. One can will last quite a long time around the house.
Andrew Noecker

Post by Andrew Noecker »

I would suggest simple white glue, because it cleans up with water. Or carpenter's glue like Titebond. If I had more experience I would try thin cyanoacrylate (from a good hobby shop). Just my humble opinion.
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Stan,

Whatever you do, do NOT let your MOP get close to ordinary household cement (in the old days called airplane glue.) It will literally dissolve the MOP. If the glue has the strong odor of banana oil (like fingernail polish) don't use it with MOP.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

I have put abalone inlays on my pedal steel guitar lately.
As a luthier and dear friend of mine suggested me, I used UHU Plus bicomponent glue and I think it was great for this job. I would/will use it again....

Dianne Best

Post by Dianne Best »

I have done quite a bit of inlay work and always use ordinary carpenter's glue, white or yellow.
Stan Paxton

Post by Stan Paxton »

Hey, thanks everybody. Gives me some good ideas to work from. :idea: And Roy, thanks for keeping me out of the airplane glue. I'll need a clear head for this. :D Anybody know where this UHU stuff can be found? I headn't seen it before; is it a crafty type glue?
And Bent or any of you guys who build guitars, chime right in there. 8)
Thanks again
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Stan, just google in [UHU PLUS GLUE] You will find it. YOU BRTCHA, DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Don't hold me to this, but I think I remember a good luthier telling me he used Duco cement for this.

Why not call someone like Mullen or Gibson that does a lot of MOP inlay work and ask them to be sure?

:)
Stan Paxton

Post by Stan Paxton »

Thanks every body for the input. ..I guess I just presumed everybody would know we were talking about the plastic type stripe of MOP; I should have made that clear. :? Anyway, I probably will give Mullen a call, shoulda thought of that before. :) ...Happy & Blessed New Year everybody 8)
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

A phone call to Del Mullen or Mike Mantey, at Mullen Guitars, will get you a quick, and accurate, answer.