Need help with pricing for Fender 400 Sunburst

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

GaryHoetker

Need help with pricing for Fender 400 Sunburst

Post by GaryHoetker »

Steel is in good-very good condition. Please provide price range with the case and w/o the case.

Thank you.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Given today's economy, I's guess $600-$800 with, and about $500-$600 without. "Book" is a little higher, but few people who buy one keep it for any length of time. I think a lot of sales are made on the assumption that any old Fender is worth a lot of money, but that's not true for their cable steels.

Note: it's a BIG guitar, so standard steel cases are pretty useless. That's why I'd say the case is worth $100-$200.
Stephen Calhoun

Post by Stephen Calhoun »

Bought a 400 in May via eBay, $750 w/o case. The seller over-rated its cosmetic condition, but I haven't had to do anything to it, except Tri-flow. Bought another 400 in August via CraigsL. $750 w. case. Had to dismantle the changer, clean, and rebuild. It was a 'barn' guitar, put away for 35+ years. Both stay in tune.

Thus, Donny's range seems right for a guitar with no issues, and with a case.
slide avant-gardist, experimentalist, echo surfer
two 1970-ish Fender 400, Fouke Industrial Rail, Allen Melbert 6, Rondo SX -- everything one way or the other through Guitar Rig/Logic/Apple/synthesizers/iPAD. ...sometimes out to a Tech 21 Trademark 60 1x12
recording as Kamelmauz.bandcamp.com
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I have bought two in the last couple of years, one for 300.00 and one for 400.00. The 400.00 one had a nice flight case, which I felt was worth at least 150.00, that I could use transporting other stuff. Both were unplayable when I bought them, but I was able to get them both up and running, even adding knee levers to one. Donny's assessments are what I see.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro