Merle Haggard in Rolling Stone Magazine

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Chris LeDrew

Merle Haggard in Rolling Stone Magazine

Post by Chris LeDrew »

The current issue of RS features a lengthy article on The Hag. For fans, it's worth reading. Here are some things I learned about Merle in the article:

He's never voted
He's still paranoid of the police
He still smokes weed
He thinks the human race may be an alien experiment
He admits to being extremely violent in a past marriage

Here is a quote I found online from the article, concerning some problems he's having on his property:

“The thing that bothers me the most is the recklessness and greed of the local ranchers, who run too many cattle back here, choking with waste the creek that runs through my property. There’s certain times of day that the cowboys like to send them turds down the river. Them bleep piss me off. If you gotta mess up the ecology of the world in order to raise a bunch of cows, well eat somethin else. I’m not a fan of the cowboys.” - Merle Haggard, Rolling Stone, 10/1/09

All in all, the article is well-written. Check it out if you're a Hag fan!
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Damn, i knew there was something else I liked about Hag! :lol:
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Me too. I never cared for cow flop in my water either.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Gotta love the Hag. Didn't he also say once that the government might have caused Hurricane Katrina with laser beams?

I love how most people still think of him as a right-wing Okie from Muskogee, when he's actually one of the kookiest California dope-smoking conspiracy theorists out there. And a very underrated guitarist.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Randy Mason

Post by Randy Mason »

When I was at Merle's he would tell me not to let the shower water get in my mouth, or in my nose, because of his concerns for that.