Anyone have experience with the Peavey Tubefex?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Simenson

Anyone have experience with the Peavey Tubefex?

Post by David Simenson »

I play several instruments, and due to small stages, I try to limit the number of amplifiers that I bring. Here's my current setup and my question.

:) Keyboard through BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer to Roland KC-550 keyboard amp.
:) Goldtone PBSM resophonic guitar with Jerry Douglas Under Saddle Pickup through Jerry Douglas Aura Pedal to Roland KC-550.
:) GeorgeBoards S-8 through Roland ME-20 Guitar Multiple Effects pedal (for reverb, overdrive, echo) to Roland KC-550.
:wink: Harmonica through Audix Fireball-V through the preamp of a Crate VC508 to Roland KC-550.

I'd rather not bring my guitar amp; I already take up too much space on the stage. Would the Peavey Tubefex help improve the tone on my fabulous GeorgeBoards, through the Roland keyboard amp? Could I get rid of the Roland ME-20 then? Has anyone used the Peavey Tubefex straight into the house PA system, or into a keyboard amp? Thanks.
GeorgeBoard, Burden Bullet Bar--YEAH!!!
David Simenson

Post by David Simenson »

OK, I'm going to rephrase my question. Given that there often isn't enough room on the stage for me to bring three amps, is there a effects pedal or rack module that will emulate steel guitar amp tone when played through my Roland KC-550? Perhaps this is an impossible request, but I know a lot of pedals now have speaker cabinet emulation. Thanks.
GeorgeBoard, Burden Bullet Bar--YEAH!!!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

The Tubefex is simply a sophisticated multi-effects unit that allows you to chain several effects together using preset patches. To my knowledge, it's not an amp modeler.

I believe the reason a lot of pedal steel players use them and their brethren (profex, profex II, and transtubefex) is that quite a number of patches were developed to approximate the amp tonalities of well-known steel players. My experience is that if I simply use my favorite of those settings into an amp that is appropriately loud and clean for the situation, it works pretty well for pedal steel. But there's nothing really pedal-steel specific about the unit. There are metal guitar players that like these too. My sense is that especially the tube versions of these were more targeted to guitar players.

I routinely bring one loud-and-clean amp for both guitar and pedal steel. In this situation, I use a Pod to get my more Fender-style guitar tones, and frequently use the tubefex for pedal steel. I think it's a good, workable rig for what I need.