Jerry Douglas playing a Cole Clark steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fontaine Burnett

Post by Fontaine Burnett »

:whoa: A great sounding axe in the hands of an absolute master!! Thanks for posting that link Mr.Ihde! I'd like to hear you playing one of those too...now THAT would be a real treat!

FB
www.fontaine-burnett.de
www.myspace.com/fontaineburnett

"...when it hits, you feel no pain!"
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

Looks like he's using a Red Bear type thumb pick and Perfect Touch finger picks. I'd like to hear a demo of the Cole Clark with a horseshoe pickup. Amazing player that guy :eek:
Thanks for posting.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I was surprised when he mentioned it has double humbuckers, because you only see one at the nut. But if you look closely you can see the pole pieces for the neck humbucker sticking up through the fretboard between the 16th-18th frets. Very interesting. It has a very mid-rangey hollow-body archtop sound. This is like the Gretsch 6120 of lap steels.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

David Doggett wrote:.................if you look closely you can see the pole pieces for the neck humbucker sticking up through the fretboard between the 16th-18th frets...................It has a very mid-rangey hollow-body archtop sound...................
And in fact you can see those pole pieces sticking WAY up at more level camera angles.

and re: the middy sound, if that is indeed an onboard graphic eq, it appears to be accentuating this timbral signature.

Great clip. I've been sleeping through any discussions of Cole Clark. Time to google & catch up.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

I'm amazed at how much he picks with his ring finger (no pick!)