Portland Oregon steel jam

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Larry Behm

Portland Oregon steel jam

Post by Larry Behm »

We be jamming at the Spinning Wheel in Canby Oregon Sunday May 12. Setup at 1:00 start playing about 2:00. Bring your band members too they are welcome to play.

We have had this jam in this location several times and it has worked really well, but it has been years ago. Tell your friends who love steel also.

Call Doug Jones at 503-651-2850 or Larry Behm at 503-722-7562
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Bump

Larry
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Calls are pouring in, steelers are packing their gear.

Come see:
Debbie Hershman
Doug Jones
Robin Suskin
Duane Becker
Dale Grandstrom
Mitch Gilbert
Phil Wagner
Peter Burak
John Carter
Gordon Black
Ken Fox
Jerry Gleason
Larry Cummings
Eric West
Ray Montee
Paul Hershman
Jerry Kelly and me Image Image.

Jeff Newman told us that after the Seattle bunch broke up we were the only group having a steel jam west of the Mississippi River, this was in the late 70's. Now they are in almost half of the states all the time.

We have a lot of great players out here in Oregon and Washington, if you do not believe me come and check us out.

Larry Behm
503-722-7562<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Behm on 10 May 2002 at 06:45 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Behm on 10 May 2002 at 06:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

Bump 'er
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I just put in for the afternoon off! (I usually work on sundays).
I'll be there fer sure!
~pete
Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

This is a good jam, folks. Great pickers in that part of the country. I have really enjoyed the ones I went to when I was there in that part of the world.
Larry, give my regards to all and I wish you all the best for a successful show. Hope you can get Rudy Alexander to come and show you all some of his big C6 chords.

Bill Stafford
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Bump

Larry
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

The Canby Steel Guitar Jam.......is always a fun event. Larry has always put on a good program......for pro's and BEGINNERS alike!
Usually a great turn-out and an appreciative audience.
If I recall, there is food available as well as your favorite liquid refreshment.
For those not all that familiar with the location of the Spinning Wheel or Canby, OR,
from I-205, go southbound at the Oregon City Exit via old Hwy 99E. You skirt the city center, pass thro' a tunnel, up a hill, around a few curves and once on the flat land, it will appear almost magically on your left. Usually adequate parking but I'd plan on getting there early; 12 noon +/-.
This year, Larry is being ably assisted by another great, local steel guitarist...named Doug Jones.
If you fail to show this Sunday, May 12th, you will live to regret it.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Montee on 09 May 2002 at 06:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

The line up is growing by the day, and all of these guys can play their bu**s off. There will be over 350 years of expericence just ready to knock your socks off. Come see. You should hear the talent of the 15 guys that are not coming, maybe next time.

We usually get about 20+ to play, it is a happening.

Larry Behm
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Okay Larry! You've tweaked my curiosity.
WHO? are the 15 talented musicians that we won't be hearing tomorrow? Only 20? I tho't your previous crowds were even bigger than that! Looking forward to sharing the event with you........
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Ray will be missing Harley James, Wally Giffin, Lynn Stafford,Butch Cornwell, Bruce Hamilton, Gordon Black, Dave Burton, Jim Burrell, Bill O'Connor, Jerry Gleason,, Wayne Mattews, etc. We will still have a large show. Are you bringing your Emmons. If you be so kind as to bring me a Ric to play!!!!!

Larry
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

We just like Duane in Spokand and Don in BC we just completed our local area jam. We have not had one in Portland in over 10 years. All of us are still going strong excpect for our dearly departed friend Danny Shields. We had about 10 players, the average years of experience was 42. These guys are not old just been playing a long time.

Thanks guys I had a ball.

Pictures coming next week.

Larry Behm
RichardMcKinney

Post by RichardMcKinney »

Larry,
What a show!! You guys are awesome. Thank you so kindly for inviting me and sharing a few moments. I'm sorry I missed all but the last hour. My dear wife had Mother Day plans with our son. I hope that someday I will be able to play in a setting like this. For you folk's that could not atend you missed some great talent. I got all choked up. Which usually happens when I hear great cryin steel guitar. No one could see my tear though. LOL. Take care Larry. Your friend.

------------------
Keep on Steelin
Carter 4/k 3/p Thanks Larry

Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Thanks RM, glad to were able to stop by. My whole game plan it to be an inspiration to others and for others. The steel is just the medium from which we all work. The friendship and sharing is why we all come. It is what HE wants us to be and do, just trying to be a good steward on HIS behalf and having a ball doing it.

With only 19 Christmas's left I have a lot of work to do.

Larry Behm
Paul Hirschmann

Post by Paul Hirschmann »

larry, i'm hip to the HE and HIS stuff, but what's this about only 19 more christmas's?
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

A fun time was had by all involved. We had 9 players and several others that opted not to bring their rigs. There was a great cross-section of styles and we all enjoyed what each other brought to the playing arena. It continues to amaze me the comradery we all share. Moreover, regardless of ability, there always seems to be some stellar moments that arise from all the players. Thanks again to all in attendance.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Paul, my folks died in their mid 70's, I am in my mid 50's, maybe only about 20 years to go, the facts of life are hard to take sometimes. The explaination of the statement "only 19 Christmas's left" always opens a few eyeball.

We all think we are immortal, we aren't, but I crab for all I can each day, Sunday was one of those great days.

I am going to call you about that Dekley you have for sale.

Larry
Paul Hirschmann

Post by Paul Hirschmann »

larry, oh, that's it. i thought you had some secret insight to the end of the world. also, it's an excel i have. i responded to a guys post on the forum looking for a steel and got four responses from other people so get to me quick if you can. thanks,paul