lubricating my pedal steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Norman Graichen

lubricating my pedal steel

Post by Norman Graichen »

I'm fairly new in the padal steel world and I could use some info on lubricting my steel. I have a GFI Expo SD-10 and I'm having some problems with it holding pitch. When I press the pedals down,a couple of open strings go flat. I was told by GFI that this guitar shouldn't have to be lubricated. Any help would be appreciated.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

ahhh, you have just discovered the often debated "cabinet drop" - do a forum search - that will give you a few days of reading and research

its got nothing to do with lubrication. the only "fix" is to temper tune the steel..ie, you just cant tune it straight up to A440, that is causing some of your troubles.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

It's a little unfair to suggest that GFI in particular has a problem with "not being well made". It's safe to say that almost all pedal steels have "cabinet drop" to some degree.

If it bothers you enough, you can put on compensator rods. But it's also fair to say that a lot of players including top pros play guitars without compensators and manage to make music that doesn't sound out of tune at all.
Billy Carr
Restricted

tuning

Post by Billy Carr »

The GFI's I've had didn't have any tuning problems once I set them up with my set up. Check for bellcranks that are not tight that might be moving just enough to make the guitar go out of tune a little. Matter of fact, I'd check every nut and bolt on the guitar. Sounds like a simple fix. Gene Fields builds a fine guitar. (Also make sure each pull rod is not binding on another one.)
Steven Stewart

strings

Post by Steven Stewart »

I think you can solve problm by using cusom diamiter strings i had same problem call Bobbe Seymour he will put a set together for you no extra charge check him out
Chris Morrison

Post by Chris Morrison »

Here's a long-shot possibility: in my Williams manual, it says to avoid getting any oil under the strings as they pass over the changer. He says that this causes incorrect return from a change ("hysteresis"). Just a guess :-)
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hey Norman,

Have you tried different strings, changing strings with smaller gauge will reduce cabinet drop alot, if you never tried Jagwire strings ...you should give it try, these strings made a big difference on my steel for tone and cabinet drop, it won't reduce it to 0% but it will help, and also check everything under the guitar to make sure that nothing is sticking, loose or out of alignment. :)
Comeau SD10 4x5, Comeau S10 3x5, Peavey Session 500,Fender Telecaster,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Precision,1978 Ovation Viper electric. Alvarez 4 strings Violin electric.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI