NC Steel Jam week after next

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bowie Martin

NC Steel Jam week after next

Post by Bowie Martin »

TThe next Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association (MASGA) jam is set for March 23/24 in Fayeteville, NC at the Fayetteville Moose Lodge; we encourage steelers of all levels to come play and participate. This is not a contest, just a fun jam. You can enjoy playing to your CD tracks, our CD tracks, or a live band (or all of them) if you want to. Great food, super location, good people, and some fine music..Contact me for directions or further information..
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

For more information about this event, go to web page www.masga.org
There are pictures of past jams and more about the organization. This event is expected to be one of the best yet. I'm hoping to see a lot of you there. Tune 'um up, let's pick!
Shoe

------------------
Edwin G. Shoemaker
ZB Custom D10 8/5
'75 Session 400

John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Hope I can make this one. Image

I don't think it will take me as long to find the place as it did the last time. Image

------------------
John - Camden Recording and Sound Services

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 10 March 2002 at 02:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmie Brown

Post by Jimmie Brown »

Looking forward to seeing all the MASGA members and guest at the Fayetteville jam.We think we have some on the best pickers in this area of the country.we have some really great resturants and motels very close to the moose lodge for thode staying overnite.
Looking forward to seeing you again too John.

Jimmie
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hey guys ( and gals ) I'm gonna try to make this one.

Tony from Charlotte
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Should be a Gud Un. Image

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 11 March 2002 at 10:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

Well boys I am new to the steel and have talked with a couple members. Les Ledford who is also new and Jack Jones. The wife and I are going to stop in and become members. I have been working on Danny Boy... some tabs I bought. Not the whole thing. I have made every effort to make it sound smooth smooth smooth. I thought I had a little something to share with the group and was planning on bring my steel. That is till I went out to Jacks house last Saturday. HA!!!!. He was selling me an amp and was showing me how it sounded and wouldn't ya know he did a little run of Danny Boy. Made me feel like a kinder Garden steeler(hehe). Lordy Lordy I got a long ways to go. In any event I am looking forward to coming out but I think I'll leave my green monster at the house and just shut up listen and learn.
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

<SMALL>Lordy Lordy I got a long ways to go. In any event I am looking forward to coming out but I think I'll leave my green monster at the house and just shut up listen and learn.</SMALL>
Ray

This is from the most recent MASGA Newsletter:
<SMALL>It is the policy of the MASGA to accomodate each and every player who wants to join in the fun and play regardless of the level of experience and ability. This is not a contest and should not be considered such.</SMALL>
This is a good policy and If I were you I would bring my rig and join in the fun. Nothing Ventured, nothing gained.

There aren't many places where a person can go, just starting out, and get this most valuable experience of playing to an Audience.

I salute the MASGA for the Wisdom of this policy.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 12 March 2002 at 06:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Latchum

Post by Ken Latchum »

TO ALL THE MASGA MEMBERS AND THEN TO ALL THE STEELGUITAR LOVERS (PLAYERS/LISTENERS) I AM ENCOURGING ALL OF YOU TO COME OUT TO A GREAT EVENT THATS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. IF YOU MISSED THE OTHER 3 OR 4 JAMS YOU REALLY MISSED OUT AND YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS ANOTHER ONE. THEY JUST SEEM TO GET BETTER AND BETTER AND ALL THE PLAYERS ARE GETTING MORE COMFORTABLE PLAYING INFONT OF OTHER STEELERS, SO I AM ENCOURGING YOU TO COME ON OUT FOR THE UP COMING JAM!! YOU'LL BE THE LOOSER IF YOU MISS THIS ONE.
THANKS
KEN LATCHUM: ONE OF THE MASGA MC'S AND REPRESENTATIVE OF STADLER MUSIC CO. MAKERS OF THE FINE MARLEN STEELGUITARS.
Al Miller

Post by Al Miller »

im pretty sure im coming down that weekend ! can i bring my steel and jam a little?
AL

------------------
AL (BOO) Miller
mullen D10
65 EMMONS P/P D-10
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Two North Carolina Legends
Clyde Mattocks and His Emmons Guitar
At a recent MASGA Jam

For more pic's go to
http://www.masga.org/page4.html

Two More Tarheel Legends
Len Stadler and Ken Latchum of Stadler Musical Instruments, Builders of The Fine Marlen Steel Guitars

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 13 March 2002 at 06:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

Boo - absolutely bring your steel and equipment. So far I have been absolutely right in telling everyone that there are a lot of less skillful players playing there, and a bunch that just make my jaws drop when they play. Just remember that it is a lot like sex, you don't have to be real good at it to enjoy it. See you week after next..
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

A Couple of Great Steelers from SC
David and Joe Turner at the last MASGA Jam

Check out the Great Marlen S-12 that Joe Plays with the Led's in the Fretboard.

See more pictures at: http://www.masga.org

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 13 March 2002 at 06:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

Well guys, I sent and Email to Jimmie to see if I could Get squeezed in..and He said y'all come on down..So I'm bring a few friends down with me from the Tri Cities area (Tenn/Va) and join in on the festivities.(we play the night before and then are driving rightdown)....do we go south,east or north.?....Who's got the map??
The Grouchyvet
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Bowie Martin or myself has a map in PDF format of the Local Fayetteville Area with the Moose Lodge plainly marked. Give us an email and we will send a copy back to you.
John

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 15 March 2002 at 01:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

These Nice Ladies will be happy to take your Membership Application

Its a quick and easy process, Won't take long to join and start receiving the Newsletter. Membership means free admission to the Jams. That makes it a good deal.
------------------
John

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 15 March 2002 at 08:34 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Skip Mertz

Only one more Week
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

The Last MASGA Show and Jam in Wilson, NC

------------------

Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hey John Floyd send me up a application so I can join the MASGA.Email me and I'll E-Mail you my address.Also Hey Bowie I will be moving pretty close to where you live April 11 th.Hopping to meet you guys and I hope to come and see and maybe I'll get up enought courage to play in the near future.
Sam White
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

Sam we look forward to having you around here...Lots of good picking and socializing going on...just get me an e-mail when you get near...!!! Bowie
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Sam
I don't have any copies of the application form to send you, Check one of my earlier replies in this thread, either one of those ladies will be happy to sign you up on the spot and your admission will be free that day. Won't take 5 minutes and you'll be one of us.

We do Initiate Damn Yankees, sort of a cleansing process, hope you can Survive it. Image

Jerry Hayes, One of our newest members right after the initiation Image Yours won't be as bad ,He is From California ImageTook a bunch of cleansing Image

John<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 18 March 2002 at 03:53 AM.]</p></FONT>
Claude Brownell

Post by Claude Brownell »

Hello,Would someone send me a application, sounds like a fun place. eharp@gate.net
Claude Brownell POB 687 Moore Haven,FL 33471 Thanks
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

What do you think Bowie do you think this Yank is going to have to straiten that John Floyd out and step on his toes a little bit. Did you clean Bobbe Seymour he is a Yank you know.And all you southern people are converted Yanks we were here first and you guys kind of slid south.Oh well see you as soon as I get down there in April.Might have to make another trip down as the bank from California that owns the place we want are being Jerks.We have been down two weeks since the end of Febuary.
Sam White<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 18 March 2002 at 11:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

Sam, you don't have any problems that a little eastern NC Barbecue and collards won't cure. I have also heard that the accents here make it easier to play slower numbers with more feeling...we'll just have to see... Hope to meet you in person soon.
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

<SMALL>And all you southern people are converted Yanks we were here first</SMALL>
Not so, Sam. My ancestors came into this country in Jamestown Virginia.
Ever hear about the first English settlement in this country in Manteo, NC Image just down the road from me.

As far as Bobbe Seymour, he is something else, Image There are folks around Norfolk, VA that will tell you that Seymour grew up there. Personally, I don't think he ever grew up. Image

Bowie
You are exactly right, Some good EASTERN NC BBQ and Collards are the best known cure for purging a damn yankee's system. Image

Claude
Would love to see you show up with the Long Neck, My buddy Bill Stafford, sez you are a Booger on that thing.

The MASGA Jam is a fun place with good people, you will enjoy it. Tarheel hospitality at its finest.

------------------
John

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 19 March 2002 at 12:47 AM.]</p></FONT>