My Favorite Steel Lick Desert Rose Hello Trouble

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

JR Ross

My Favorite Steel Lick Desert Rose Hello Trouble

Post by JR Ross »

Full Speed with Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAENUcHceZ4

Here it is on U tube. JD Manness is the bomb.
He also has a breakdown for teaching the lick below the utube site. It still is far beyond my reach

JD's Hello Trouble breakdown below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnulsmH8 ... re=related
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

INO, Jay Dee Maness is one of the best ever!!! Maybe someday I'll get to see him again in person.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

That song makes my knuckles bleed just thinking about it. I used to have to play it. Of course, I never quite got JayDee's licks down.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Get JayDee's DVD's and he'll teach it to you himself.

http://www.jaydeemaness.com/

or from Jim Palenscar

http://steelguitarsofnc.com/dotnetnuke/ ... fault.aspx
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

That was great DRB stuff, no doubt.

My only beef with it, though, is they didn't give JD a ride in the middle. He got robbed.

In Buck's version, the steeler lays down a great break; and rightfully so. That song is made for a steeler to let her rip.

:\
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Chip Fossa wrote:In Buck's version, the steeler lays down a great break.
I really like the steel solo in Buck's version, but I hate the tone. It sounds more like a Tele with the tone control full out, not a PSG. Maybe it's a Fender PSG. I read somewhere that Tom Brumley played a Fender before he went to ZB.
Sho-Bud Pro III + Marshall JMP 2204 half stack = good grind!
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Thats true Leslie. Its a Fender.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

That Tele in the clip looks like one of the two that Buck had custom made for himself and Don Rich.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

That steeler on Buck's "Hello Trouble" is not Tom Brumley.

It's Buck's steeler before or after Tom (not sure).

I actually love that steel sound.

I was turned onto this, and never previously aware of it, by Donny Hinson.

He had a very post on "a different steel sound" than what we are all hearing today.

I'm sorry that I don't recall the name of the steeler playing on Buck's "Hello Trouble".

Donny's post was maybe 1-2 months ago. I'm sure someone can dig it up, and/or maybe Donny will chime in.

I like BOTH steel tones, guy-ohs.
Chip
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

IIRC that was Mooney on Hello Trouble playing an old Fender.. If you guys are talking down Moons playing and the tone of Fender steels, you'll meet with some resistance.. bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Bob Carlucci wrote:IIRC that was Mooney on Hello Trouble playing an old Fender.. If you guys are talking down Moons playing and the tone of Fender steels, you'll meet with some resistance.. bob
No I'm not trying to dis the steeler. I like his playing, but I don't like the sound of his guitar. It's way too tinny and twangy sounding for a PSG. If that's what those old Fender PSGs sound like, I don't care for them.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITiY8M_oDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqxq6xqoXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6KzGeEX6o

This how a Fender steel sounds.. tinny??... I think not with all due respect. Classic steel tone ... Check out the short version of Buds Bounce at the end of this video... Classic Fender sound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkNsqdGm ... re=related
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

so i guess you guys haven't noticed that jeff newman would be yelling at jaydee for holding his right hand non-alpha. no wonder he can hardly pick!!
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Not bad.
Tinny.
Video won't load.
Sound quality of video is too muffled.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

My CD of "My Heart Skips a Beat/Together Again", which is my fave Buck Owens CD, lists Tom Brumley as the steel player on "Hello Trouble". Great steel sound in my book, though obviously not to everybody's taste.
Some of my favoutite Brumley playing, and tone, is on "Close Up the Honky Tonks" on the same CD. I love the steel sound on that tune. It is bright for sure, but also has great complexity, for lack of a better word, to it's sound. It's a bigger,fatter sound than say Mooney was getting a few years earlier...Jerry
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

OK - "Hello Trouble"

Here's Buck's version with the steeler Donny Hinson was referring to. I think his first name was Bob.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1FSxaFY5Pw

On YouTube there is also a later video of Buck doing HT on HeeHaw, and the steeler looks like JD Maness, and sounds like him, too.

Now, what's not to like hear? :wink:
Chip
Dan E. Hoff

Post by Dan E. Hoff »

I have a recording of Lou Houston playing the song, ''Hello Trouble, live....His playing technique on that tune will just about knock your socks off...Unique....
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Chip Fossa wrote:OK - "Hello Trouble"

Here's Buck's version with the steeler Donny Hinson was referring to. I think his first name was Bob.

That is the version I'm referring to. The steel sounds extremely bright and twangy like a Fender Telecaster with the tone control full out.

I read somewhere that some of the old Fender PSGs came with small single coil pickups like those found on the Jaguar. I'll bet that was the type of guitar used on the recording.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That Fender sound is what made me fall in love with steel. Those Brumley clips are not tinny at all.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

So...is Tom Brumley's first name Bob? Bob does a nice job on that tune!...Jerry
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

J Fletcher wrote:So...is Tom Brumley's first name Bob? Bob does a nice job on that tune!...Jerry
No Bob on that recording. I checked the album credits, and Jay McDonald and Tom Brumley played steel on that record. Both McDonald and Brumley had Fender 1000s at the time.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Tom Brumley on "Hello Trouble", Jay MacDonald on "Truck Drivin' Man" if I recall correctly. Ralph Mooney on "Save the last dance for me". All from the same CD, which has tunes from four or five different recording sessions, spread over three or four years. The CD, or LP being, "My Heart Skips a Beat/ Together Again". My favourite Buck Owens CD!
Don't know who "Bob" is...Jerry
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Leslie Ehrlich wrote:
Chip Fossa wrote:OK - "Hello Trouble"

That is the version I'm referring to. The steel sounds extremely bright and twangy like a Fender Telecaster with the tone control full out.
Yes, Leslie......a Marshall stack will get you closer to REAL pedal steel tone! :lol: Just ribbin' ya!
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Fish

Post by Fish »

Leslie, I respect your opinion. The brighter Fender steel sound is an acquired taste, but once you adjust to it you will find that it has incredible character, depth and soul.

To me, the ultra-bright sound of the Fender Pedal Steel Guitar is one of the most spine-tingling, jaw-dropping, inherently "Western" sounds ever invented. It is the "high lonesome desert sound" of all the great California country artists of the late 50's and early 60's. When I hear it, I reach immediately for a cocktail and play records (very loudly) by Wynn Stewart, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings and that great mad genius (all respect intended) Peter Kleinow, otherwise known as Sneaky Pete. The FBB's "Sin City" is one of the most fascinating steel guitar tracks ever recorded. I've listened to it hundreds of times and never grow tired of it.

Leo Fender really knocked the cover off of the ball with the Fender Pedal Steel, as he also did with Telecasters, Stratocasters, Precision & Jazz basses, Tweed and Black-face series amps, and more. They are weird to play and to hear the first time, but they embody special qualities rarely heard in modern steel guitar tone.

Of course, my other steel guitar is a Zumsteel. :D
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Just for the record, I don't hate Fender PSGs. I've heard some pretty wild hard rock sounds out of them too. If I had a Fender PSG I'd find some way to make it sing. :mrgreen: