I want that lick!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Mason

I want that lick!

Post by David Mason »

2:49 - 2:57 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJzBtIsx ... re=related

Yikes! Actually I wouldn't mind any of 'em.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Yeah, that whole song is killer. 8)
Bill Patton

Post by Bill Patton »

I would play like that, but I prefer my slower, more amateurish style.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Actually the notes are pretty easy; it's capturing the timing of the phrase that makes it challenging to play well. Key is Eb, and the riff starts on the IV chord (Ab). I think you could play it all on strings 5 and 4 (you'll basically be sliding into the Ab chord position at the 6th fret with the 5th pedal down). The first part starts on the B note (Play the 5th string lowered 1/2 step at fret 5, sliding up to the 6th fret (C) and then hit the 4th string at the 6th fret (Eb). Work those notes in the right timing (listen closely to the video) then start climbing the neck with that riff, going up chromatically until you get to the 13th fret (you might have to skip a fret to two to make it fit right). Then he pauses and hits the Ab9 chord at the 15th fret wtih the 6th pedal down (make your 3rd string the highest string in the chord) and then play the diminished there too (15th fret with pedals 5&6, also with 3rd string high). After that it's pretty straightforward... [I'm not saying that I can play this as well as E does, by no means, but I think I see and hear what's going on there.]

Hope that helps.