I forgot! The amazing two-finger three-string lick!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Quinn

I forgot! The amazing two-finger three-string lick!

Post by Tom Quinn »

Back in the seventies, I think it was Buddy who published this lick. (I cannot even remember how we found out this stuff pre-world-wide Web!)

I hear it used all the time on the radio. It started on the 15th fret, used the 6th, 7th and 8th strings and the B pedal as I recall.

How do I know I've forgotten it? Because I was playing along with Grandpa Jones on Hee-Haw courtesy of RFD teevee and I really, really....r-e-a-l-l-y sucked trying o play up to 2/4 banjer speed.

Any help, suggestions better memory inducing deeply appreiciated.

Pld slow hand...
Fred Rushing

Two finger 3 string exercise.

Post by Fred Rushing »

Tom it came from Hal Rugg and Weldon. I still have a copy of the tab. It is not hard to play but it is so oooooooooo over used. However it can be useful at times. Can send you a copy USPS if you will give me an address. If you need to hear it again I can put it on a cassette for you. Fred
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Thanks Fred! I hear it everytime there is a quick two-step on the radio. I don't know if I'll use it but I want to remember how it worked. Back in the '70s it was HOT! -L-

Thanks again,

Tq
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

The variations on this concept and technique seem to be endless. Very useful in many situations as far as I'm concerned!! Maybe overused, but certainly no more than many other common E9 tricks.
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

i still have the book & the 45. i used that lick way to offen :)

p.w
Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

What is this lick you speak of? And could you point me to a song that uses it? And possibly tab it out for those of us who aren't in the "know"? Thanks.
We live to play another day.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

yeah no fair describing the best most used lick in history that everyone who is anyone knows etc etc without sharing what it is :evil:
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I'm trying to break myself of the habit!!! Neil Flanz busted me on using it the other night, in fact. :oops:

Don't know the lick? As the old piece of Chinese wisdom says: "You better off." :lol:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Fred Rushing

The Lick

Post by Fred Rushing »

I say this with the utmost respect for Hal and Weldon. It is one of those things you play when you don't ( or in my case can't play anyhing else) you fall back on. It is a great building tool when you understand what is going on. BUT when we hear it we all know where came from and we all know we got a little LAZY. I couldn't get by without it. RIGHT ON HERB !!!!!!!
Al Collinsworth

Post by Al Collinsworth »

Last edited by Al Collinsworth on 11 Nov 2009 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

I still remember ordering that from Jeff Newman, back in the early 80s - a mystery riff that would make me a faster player. Very easy to pull off, and definitely a good trick to use when tempos are too fast to otherwise keep up, but as others have said, probably way overused. But there were times when that was all I could do to stay with the blazing tempo. Think of it as a self defense tactic...
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

C'mon guys :( Cough it up! Us new steelers haven't had a chance to run this lick into the ground yet.
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

Others are better at posting TAB than me, but I would describe it as B pedaling in and out of your sixth string, alternately picking the 5th, to get a fast rolling riff, then you can also slide the bar down two frets (to the left) as you do this and work the 5th, 6th and 7th strings. It is not so much a specific riff as it is a pocket on the E9 neck where you can do no wrong. The problem is, it's not really right either! It creates a vague, melody-less sound, but fits most chord progressions and is easy to pick fast.

My two cents....
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

this is worse than the secret mod thread (wow indeed). :x

tab, on the glass please
Mike Brinkmeyer

Post by Mike Brinkmeyer »

Scotty's Music still sells the course . . .

The Amazing Speed Picking Course

Weldon Myrick & Hal Rugg

Cass, Tab and Rhythm Track

Item #WMHR01 $12.00
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

If I remember rightly, it was played on strings 5,6 and 7. The 45 had different chord progressions to play along with. I may have it lying around the house somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post the tab. I can't do the sounds, though. Hopefully, someone can beat me to it.

Arch.

Looks like Mike has it sorted. :)
I'm well behaved, so there!
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Brian Kurlychek wrote:What is this lick you speak of? And could you point me to a song that uses it? And possibly tab it out for those of us who aren't in the "know"? Thanks.
Weldon Myrick did a song called "Hot Foot" that uses it a lot. It's on his Pedalman album. But it's also included--the recording and tab--in Scotty's Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar, which is an excellent source for much else besides.

The "amazing two-finger three-string" lick is in bars 3-4, 23-24, 29-32.
Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

ah ,yes. I found the tab in an online preview of the book. Thanks for that.
We live to play another day.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

lame.
it wont let me preview that page.

worst thread ever
:cry:
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

Not trying to be difficult here, and I'm prepared to be wrong, but I don't think "Hot Foot" uses the specific "Amazing One Pedal, Two Finger, Three String Song" lick. I have both the book and tab for the lick in question. As far as it being overused in it's entire form, I've never heard it on a record. (Haven't heard them all, of course :lol: )
It's (the lick in question) really the building blocks of pick blocking in my mind, so any body who connects the dots from position to position with pick blocking is using some of the elements of it. Herb's pullin' your legs.....it's the "Holy 'friggin' Grail"!!!!! :lol: :lol: It did unlock some of the mysteries for me, at least.
Peace.
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

There are a lot of good uses for it and everyone uses it or overuses it. But once you learn to play the whole thing forward, then try to learn the whole thing backwards. It can open up a lot of possibilities for you. But, as everyone has already stated it does get overused.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

It's not the lick, it's the "licker" that is at fault! :- )

Right Herb-san? -L-
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

"We've got this great lick. Its really simple, can be used in any situation will open all sorts of doors for you. Its been used a million times and everyone but YOU knows it. This lick saves lives and makes poo smell like rose water but we wont tell you what it is"

gee thanks guys
:x
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Ben: Mike already provided the link. For $12, how can you go wrong?
Mike Brinkmeyer wrote:Scotty's Music still sells the course . . .

The Amazing Speed Picking Course

Weldon Myrick & Hal Rugg

Cass, Tab and Rhythm Track

Item #WMHR01 $12.00
Ron Wright

Post by Ron Wright »

are you talking about this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdEYCQlu ... annel_page

bobbe's lesson 13
MSA S12 Classic XL 5/5
NV 112
NV400