Marlen Levers?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Edgar Scudder

Marlen Levers?

Post by Edgar Scudder »

From a rookie, I recently acquired a 1971 Marlen Steel, not sure of model no. or name, but two fretboards and 8 pedals. However, there are no levers attached and don't know if the lack of levers is by design, if they are missing or if they can be "retrofitted" and if so, how? Appreciate any feedback.
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Post pics if you can. Sounds more like 1961 than 1971. Some of the very first Marlen guitars were built with no levers. I have one of them myself.

If it is indeed a very early model, adding levers would be possible, but not very practical. If it is indeed a later model, levers could very well be made and added by someone with PSG build/repair experience. Cost?? No Idea.

Getting actual Marlen factory parts, nearly impossible as the original owners are now deceased, the factory has been closed for several years, and the remaining family members have little or no interest in the Steel Guitar business.

Of course, if the customer special ordered it, Leonard would have built it that way at any time in the life of the company.

Do not get discouraged by not having levers. There is a ton of very pretty music in there without ever using a lever!
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Are there any unfilled screw holes, (which would suggest removal of pre-existing knee lever hardware)?
Doug Palmer

Post by Doug Palmer »

Edgar, I might be able to help. Can you get me a picture of the undercarriage?

DP
Emmons D-10, ST-10,LD-10 III, NV-112,Fender Deluxe Reverb. Authorized wholesale dealer musicorp.com!