Barry Sless with Phil Lesh & Friends

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

Barry Sless with Phil Lesh & Friends

Post by b0b »

Here's a good review of a New Years Eve gig that included steel guitarist Barry Sless:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.a ... ryID=16197

The same site includes Barry's bio:

http://www.jambase.com/Artists/29552/Barry-Sless/Bio
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

b0b,

Its nice to see Barry get some credit he really deserves. Barry has been a friend for decades, and had a big influence on anything I did in music from the days we met where he lived in a 1800's historic Mansion with Charlie Crane (Original Cowboy Jazz Drummer) in Randallstown, MD. If anyones speaks to him, ask him about those old days... he'll get a chuckle and have plenty to talk about. He is truly one of the nicest humble great pickers one will ever meet.
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Okay... It's late and I'm pooped but doesn't his picture look like he's playing two Williams' at the same time? Weirder still, it looks like he's got one hand on one steel and his other hand on the other. (?!) I'll take a look when I'm more awake... maybe it's some weird kinda double vision thing.
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Chris, you need to put that pipe down dude :-) My comments come from a guy with one eye. <g>
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Barry played here in New York city a few weeks ago with Phil's band. I missed it but a friend of mine went and said it was a great concert.
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

MUCH better when fully awake! :)

I now see that there's a tuner in the foreground. With the slightest blur, it makes it look like there are two single neck guitars in front of him.

NO, er, really!!!
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Caught Barry during a two night stand in Honolulu with Kingfish in the late 80s, opening for and backing Commander Cody. He helped make those shows better than they should have been. I got audio and VHS recordings, and many still pics from those nights, and always enjoy taking a trip down fading memory lane with them.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I think Barry is on the Islands right at this moment with David Nelson, or just was!

He's a great picker for sure!

Dave
Gordy Hall

AND Barry has an award-winning beer named after him!

Post by Gordy Hall »

Sless’ Stimultating Stout- - -
Sless is back baby!! This creamy Oatmeal Stout is our newest medal winner!2008 Gold Medal winner World Beer Cup- 6.0% ABV

Iron Springs Brewpub, Fairfax, CA.

It is quite a tasty brew, I might add :D

Gordy
Dekley S-10, tangled fingers and feet
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Dave Zirbel wrote:I think Barry is on the Islands right at this moment with David Nelson, or just was!
He's a great picker for sure!

Dave
Yeah, it was only a Maui gig, no 'lulu, bummerz coz I dint have the $ for another off island excursion right now.
But thanx for the heads up, Dave, sure hope to see you (and maybe Cody) here again soon!