J D Maness on Jay Leno Show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jim Baron

J D Maness on Jay Leno Show

Post by Jim Baron »

This coming Tues night Jay Dee will be on the Tonight Show with Richard Marks and Allison Krauss.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Hi Jim...thanks for the info/reminder.
I always thought Emmons should be a featured guest on the Leno Show. The master that he is, he should be interviewed and featured as Stephan Grapelli, George Benson and others have been over the years. Sad when you see hog callers and turkey callers as featured guests and the steel guitar is somewhere below that??? Image
Dennis
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

<SMALL>Sad when you see hog callers and turkey callers as featured guests and the steel guitar is somewhere below that???</SMALL>
Oh, I don't know there, Dennis. It takes a special kind of person to willingly make an ass of yourself on National TV....

...but, I guarantee I'll be tuned in on Tuesday. Thanks for the heads-up, Jim.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 18 March 2001 at 09:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Thanks for the heads-up! JayDee is great and I'm glad to hear about it BEFORE it happens instead of "Did anybody see JayDee last night on Leno?"!!
Abe Stoklasa

Post by Abe Stoklasa »

Man, No one should miss this. Thanks for the info.
Jerry Brightman

Post by Jerry Brightman »

I know I'll be watching my good friend JayDee. I have known him for almost 30 years,and his playing still astounds me...

Go get em JayDee!

Jerry<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 20 March 2001 at 12:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
clive swindell

Post by clive swindell »

Did anyone tape it?

Is it possible to put it on the net?
Chuck Jacolucci

Post by Chuck Jacolucci »

That figures - the one day I didnt get a chance to visit the forum, and I dont ususlly watch Leno. If anyone taped the show, I'll buy the tape and postage if you are interested in making a copy.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Jim;
Thanks for the tip on JayDee. If you missed it, it will be on again next week in the AM. (Wed around 2:30 central time.) They have NBC All Night and show the previous weeks shows. (Leno, Conan O'Brien in the middle of the night.) Check your local listings and set the VCR.
BTW: Dennis; Buddy was on the Tonight Show. Playing bass for Roger Miller. Go figure...

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 22 March 2001 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

I know many steel pickers of today and yesterday and in my opinion JD is as good a "steel guitar world representative" as is needed ! To you Dennis,I certainly would not debate hog calling with you.
Regards!
Dennis Detweiler

Sorry...I think my point is missed here. I agree JD is one of the best. My point is that there has never been a steel guitar player "featured" as a guest himself. It's always as a backup. I would like to see one of the biggest players as a guest as the Tonight Show has done with other instrumentalists over the years. Interview him and let him play with the Tonight Show band backing him. And above all, to show the versatility of the instrument with a hot jazz tune and a country tune.
Sheeesh! Image
Dennis
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

I think the reason that steel players don't get time on those programs is that most of the general public have no idea what the contraption is, they don't see any correlation of what they're hearing because what is going on with the pedals and levers, they equate it with hillbilly music or of the Islands. To a non-player, watching someone play the steel is sometimes boring and they don't realize it is the most complicated thing to play well and also because no one in the pop field that we all know does not feature a steeler and give them a proper introduction. Outside of that, I can't figure that out either, why. Thanks, Gary
Dennis Detweiler

Yes that's probably true. It's a stereotyped instrument. Maybe get Bela Fleck and Emmons both on at the same time...both playing jazz. Citizens going...HUH? Whah? Image