Central NY members

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Thrall

Central NY members

Post by Jim Thrall »

Hello!....Being new, and unfamiliar with the ins of the forum, I apologize if I'm IN THE WRONG SECTION. Is there any way to get info on members in the SG Forum from Central New York? I am in the Syracuse, Cortland, Baldwinsville, Fulton, Oswego regions and would like to contact anyone who plays professionally in country, blue-grass fields and uses steel or dobro guitar re. common interests.
Also, Are there music stores in my NY area that support steel guitar sales/service? What about finding service on tube amps and finding replacement vacuum tubes and parts?
Jim Thrall
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Hi JIm, There are a few I am sure. One Forun member, Bob Carlucci I believe is from your neck of the woods. A very good steel player as well as a monster guitar player. I also believe that another member , Larry Jammison has or had a music store not too far from you. I would maybe try your request in, "Steel Player and there music"...just a thought. I am from the other side of the state. Glens Falls/Lake Goerge/ Saratoga...lower Adirondacks region....but if you ever get up and over this way, give a yell!!
Twang to the bone!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Isn't Tiny Olson (played steel for Gene Watson) up that way? I met him a couple years ago at Scotty's and as I recall he was in Upstate NY somewhere. (Just looked him up -- Tribes Hill, NY.)

Terry Miller is in Hammondsport, NY. Larry Bates is in the Addison/Corning, NY area.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Jim Thrall

Central NY steelers

Post by Jim Thrall »

Thanks a million guys. Appreciate the information.
JimT
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Hello Jim,
I live in Walton, NY, about two hours south of Syracuse. I play mostly around Delaware County. In the summer, my gig schedule is posted on www.countryexpressmusic.com. I have played in Cortland at the Hall of Fame a time or two, but it is a long drive for us, so we haven't booked it much in the last year or two. I have a small mom/pop store in Walton, NY. My Williams is always set up and ready to play in my shop. If you are ever in the area, stop in and chat, and try out the Williams or the Zum (which is usually in the case between gigs).
Being in such a small town, I haven't tried to be a steel guitar store, but we stock finger picks, individual gauged strings, tones bars, and string winders. I also teach beginner through intermediate E9.
Stop in and say hello if you get down my way.
Larry Jamieson
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

Hi Jim, I lived in Cortland near the Country Music Park until I retired and moved to Florida. I met Larry Jamieson a few times. He is a fine musician and would be a big help to any steel player. Larry
U12 Williams keyless 400
Vegas 400, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Chuck Morel

Post by Chuck Morel »

Hey guys, Im a steel player in Warren County NY in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains between Larry Jamison and Jim Thrall. A smoking steel player Randy Rollman lives in Lake Luzuren about 40 min from me.
He owns a music store called the Sound Mound but he does'nt sell new steels. He can service them and he might have a used one hangimg around.
Someone needs to start selling up this way shipping is to damn expensive.
Fassenden Steel guitars are in VT. about 3.5 hrs from me. Still to far. Mabye we all should start our own steel guitar club. LOL
Happy New Year and good health and wealth to you all. Chuck