Delaney Bramlett R.I.P.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

This is really sad,I worked for Delaney for five years,he's been living in the hospital for the last few months with his wife Susan by his bedside,as of two days ago it was looking like he was going to make it he had been taken out of the ICU and upgraded.he was my guitar mentor and a best friend. :( :( :(
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

That's really sad to hear, I remember him from his days at the Palomino with Gene Davis' band. Delaney played one of those Danelectro basses with the horns on it. He was one guy who could sing those impossible Roy Orbison songs such as "In Dreams" and "Leah"........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Too bad. Delaney was something else. I backed him up a time or two at the Pal. Saw Delaney and Bonnie in
1970 (71?), and they were awesome.

Vaya con Dios, Delaney.
Danny Bates

R.I.P. Delaney

Post by Danny Bates »

He lived next door to a close friend. A super talented guy. Here's a video of him almost 7 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQ2jLgItkk
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Here's another good one to remember him by. He contributed a lot and we'll all miss him.[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EOxy3TF3OY[/url]
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

I've read stories from folks over the years that turned out to be somebody pullin' on the old "LEG".

Years ago I read an interview that Delaney gave saying that he was in a studio in LA and a producer came up to him and asked if he could play drums...He said sure, but he said that he really couldn't.

He went into the studio and played drums on the instrumental "Tequila". Maybe Stu or somebody could give us some info on that or laugh and say that he was just kiddin' around with the interviewer.
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

He was just kidding. Tequila had Gene Alden on drums.

http://www.history-of-rock.com/champs.htm
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Jack,Delaney played rhythm guitar on Tequila.He was the most amazing musician that I have ever been around in my life.
Here's a pic from Cream records we we're recording some demos.L-R Delaney Bramlett,Glen Clark,Me,Skinny Bishop,Billy Swan,and forumite David Mansfield.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Stu Schulman wrote:Jack,Delaney played rhythm guitar on Tequila.He was the most amazing musician that I have ever been around in my life.
Here's a pic from Cream records we we're recording some demos.L-R Delaney Bramlett,Glen Clark,Me,Skinny Bishop,Billy Swan,and forumite David Mansfield.
That says a lot!! Thanx...Jack
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Sad news.
I saw him the 1st week after I moved to NYC back
around '90, it was a great show.

Delany and Bonnie and Friends was a pretty
big schooling album for me at one point.

'Hard Luck and Trouble', popped into my head when I saw his name.

RIP Delaney.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Delany, what a sweet person to many over the years and always nice to me when I'd see him.His old Guitarist of ten years my good friend " Peter Kline " took this a little hard. RIP Delany. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.