DD-5 > DD-6 and tap tempo?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Terry Sneed

DD-5 > DD-6 and tap tempo?

Post by Terry Sneed »

Got a question about the DD5 and DD6 delay pedals.
Can you tap your tempo in, just a one repeat when playin a song? If I wanted a single repeat, for instance, playin I'll Fly Away, could I just tap the DD5, or DD6 to the tempo of the song while playin, to get the single repeat I need, and have the tempo(or repeat) of the Delay pedal right? Does that make since?

Terry
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I have the DD6 and all you have to do is hold the pedal down until the LED light starts to flash and then tap the pedal 3 or 4 times to the beat of the song.
Terry Sneed

Dd6

Post by Terry Sneed »

Len, will that then give you a single repeat from your DD6? Thanks

Terry
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Terry, if you only want one repeat you have to keep the feeback control all the way to the left. The tap tempo is very useful. Shutting it off you have to keep the pedal pressed for several seconds.
Bert ten Hove

Post by Bert ten Hove »

DD-6 has "Tap Tempo", but why not try the DD-7?

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... arentId=92

On the Roland site you can download the manual for these pedals.

With the DD-7 you can connect a footswitch for the "Tap Tempo", which is a much better option I think. Without this extra footswitch, you have to hold the footswitch on the pedal for two seconds or more to be able to "Tap". Also two seconds to stop this "Tap", and that's where the problem starts. This last motion of the foodpedal can be seen as an extra "tap".
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

In my opinion, there are better choices for delay pedals than what Boss has to offer with the DD series. I guess that many steelers got familiar with the DD-3 a while back, and have stuck with Boss all this time. But there are a number of other delay pedals that are much more practical, much better at creating a warm/analog sounding echo, and much easier to tap in the tempo. Some are more pricey, like the TC Nova Delay or DLS Echotap.

But the Line 6 Echo Park is a real good choice. You don't have to hold down the pedal for a few seconds to enter your tempo. You simply tap on the pedal whenever, and you instantly get the delay time you want. It also does a much better job of creating warm, analog style echoes, as well as offering various types of delay sounds and tempo beat divisions, and it's cheaper.

Brad
Bert ten Hove

Post by Bert ten Hove »

Yes, there are better options for a delay pedal than the Boss. But, here in Holland, the DD-7 is cheaper than the Line6 Echo Park.

TC Nova is a good choice but much more expensive. Lot of people think that it's a tone sukker, when bypassed.

I've done some research lately on delay pedals. The best choice I think is the Eventide Timefactor, but for that money you buy at least three DD-7 pedals.

I must say, I haven't tried the DD-7 yet, but the specs are very promising. And with an extra foot-switch, you don't have to hold down the foot-switch for a few seconds.
Terry Sneed

Delay

Post by Terry Sneed »

Appreciate the info guys. I'll take a look at the Line 6.

Terry