New Carter on the way,BUT.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jimmy Gibson

New Carter on the way,BUT.

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

Hi guys and gals,i have a 2007 D10 Carter on the way,and i have been told it has the new type premium necks,and the later pedalboard,could someone tell me please what the difference is between the older Carters and the newer models?Thanks.

here she is.

JG
Last edited by Jimmy Gibson on 7 Nov 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Price? :roll:
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Jimmy,
The standard neck on the Carter has rounded edges. The Premium Edge neck is like the necks found on Emmons, Zum, Mullen, with the square edges and jeweled finish on the top of the neck. The Pedal bar difference is that they changed from a C channel with brackets that held the pedals to an extruded channel that has a "slide-in" feature that the pedals slide into and are seperated with spacers. The neck is primarily for looks, the pedal bar actually makes the pedals operate much smoother. Sounds like you're getting a great guitar.
Wayne Morgan

Post by Wayne Morgan »

Hi Jimmy, I'm not much help on the carter question, but would like to say, hi to you and tell you that I miss you in the steel room. Just wondering if Polly is still ruling the house? Congratulations on getting the Carter, hope you enjoy.

Take care
Wayne Morgan
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Hi Roger,

In your description of:
"The Pedal bar difference is that they changed from a C channel with brackets that held the pedals to an extruded channel that has a "slide-in" feature that the pedals slide into and are seperated with spacers."
I'm probably overlooking something, but in your above I'm having a problem telling where the one stops, and the updated one starts?

Regardless, what would one look for to be certain they had the updated pedal board? As well as, would you happen to know the advantages? Meaning: Did they have problems in the originals of some sort? Possibly flexing, etc?

PS: Would you know approximately what year they started using the updated pedal board?

Thanks a lot
Don
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Don,
Carter has been using this new pedal bar for at least two years, maybe longer. John at Carter can tell you for sure when the changed was made. The older pedal bars had brackets screwed to them to hold the pedals in place. This method is still used by several manufactures. There isn't/wasn't a problem with that system. The new pedal bar actually costs more to extrude, but the labor savings in the way the pedals are now attached greatly offset the cost difference. The pedals actually have a smoother feel in the new channel. Hope this helps!
Richard Parks

New Carter pedal bar

Post by Richard Parks »

Don,

This the bar on my 08 Carter. As you can see it is pretty healthy. I am assuming this extrusion was used because of flex. The only thing I don't like about it is it needs some end caps. It has an unfinished look to it. I will probably will make some aluminun rectangles the size of the bar to bolt on to the ends after drillng and tapping the bar. I don't know when Carter started using this design. Hope this helps.
R.P.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

My Sincere thanks, to both of you, Roger, and Richard.

That allowed me to better understand & see, that I must have the older pedal board.

Richard, I again, really appreciate you taking the time to give me a look by taking a picture.

It's sure appreciated.
Thanks again,
Don
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Richard, when looking down at the top of your fingers on the E9th.

If you would be so kind as to tell me which END has the first Spacer before the finger, (I realize there are spacers between each finger) but on my low 10th string "B" end, there is no spacer, between that and the end cap.

The reason I'm asking is, I believe the pickups in mine are XR-16's on both necks, and the pole pieces are not lined up, (nor will they) directly under the strings. There isn't enough room to slide the pickup over (even a little bit, either way) but if that first spacer wasn't there it would be just about right then.

Mine is I believe a 2005, and since I'm not sure if by chance a previous owner had reason to remove them and possibly placed the spacer at the wrong end? Both necks are the same, in that respect, and neither pickup's pole pieces are in alignment under the strings.

I might have to ask someone who has the XR-16's installed if you don't, as to the relationship on the pickups not being in alignment.

Thanks again,
Don
Richard Parks

Post by Richard Parks »

Don,
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I am brand new to the Forum and PSG and don't have all the terms down pat yet but I believe you're asking about the changer fingers. My guitar has no spacer between the 10th string finger and the changer housing on both necks. And there is a spacer between the 1st string finger and the housing on both necks. However, I don't have the XR-16 pickups. Mine are the George L's SS-10s and dimensionally they're pretty well centered under the strings. If I'm way off base here please let me know and I will do some more looking.

R.P.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Richard,

First and foremost, "Welcome to the forum."

And, you answered my questions exactly as I had wanted to know.

There are tons and tons of information here on the forum..

Have fun and above all, enjoy your new pedal steel.

Thanks again,
Don
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Jimmy, Very pretty guitar!

Older Carters (approx. 5 or 6 years old... not sure) didn't have BCT which is a changer design that transmits vibrations into the body of the guitar.

Don, You can order a new pedalboard from Carter if you give them your serial number. They only sell parts to Carter owners.

I think you should call Carter and ask John Fabian about moving that spacer. Did you see if your pickups are mounted backwards? Just a guess.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Jimmy, Congratulations.. That is a nice looking steel. Let us know how you like it.

Danny, I thought of them possibly being in backwards, but each end measures the same distance to the outer edge of the first pole pieces. That being approximately 3/8" in from the ends. And since the mounting pattern looks to be the same on both sides, turning them around probably wouldn't do it.

I'd like the pickups to be in perfect alignment with the pole pieces directly centered under the strings, if I can find a way to do it. They are a pretty tight fit, with no room to slide them over. One thing for certain, they're all off by the same amount. About 1/16" off.:D

I won't change the finger spacers, now that I'm certain they are where they belong. The pickups will be precise, (even if I have to replace them with the E-66's). It's really not all that big of a problem, she sounds fine, but I'm a perfectionist in wanting things as precise as humanly possible.

I'll give them a call and see what their records show it being ordered new with, for pickups. I'll also check on the updated pedal board while I'm at it. "It really looks to be untouched since new."

Thanks for your suggestions, as well as for reminding me to call, so they can keep their records updated.

Don
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Don,
Maybe the pickups were made for a certain brand of guitar. When I had my Carter, I put Tonealigner pickups in it and they lined up perfectly... and sounded so sweet!