What is the best all around effects pedal/device?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Duncan Hodge

What is the best all around effects pedal/device?

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey Folks.
I am currently using an effects system that has all the bells and whistles and can pretty much make my steel sound like anything up to and including a monkey being stepped on by a giraffe, but it is a little bulky and has a few more options than a guy like me with ADD should be allowed to play with. I am hoping to replace it for playing out with just one little effects pedal about the size of a standard stomp box. If you could have only one effect pedal/device that would meet most of a pedal steeler's needs for an entire evening of playing what one would you choose and why? I appreciate any and all feedback any of you may be able to give.
Thanking you in advance,
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Boss RV-3. They aren't made anymore, but there are still a lot of them around.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Brian Pelky

Post by Brian Pelky »

The POD XT is very small can do all the bells and whistles, but you don't have to use it that way. It's my understanding that it had GREAT reverbs and delays....a lot of the studio guys bring them into the studio to do sessions on guitar. Tommy Dodd has set up some very simple Steel patches for the POD utilizing just reverb and delays. I'm thinking very seriously about going this route myself. Tommy even sells a small stand that clamps onto your steel leg to hold the thing....very small and concise, and sounds great.
Sho-Bud Super Pro D10,Tele,Strat,Martin D-28,Korg Triton Pro,Nashville 400
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

I would probably also go with the RV-3, if I could find one. If I couldn't, I'd get the MXR Carbon Copy and use the reverb in my amp (and be careful I didn't stomp on the stage). All I really need is delay and reverb and MXR Carbon Copy is one fine sounding analog delay. For many years, I used an old green MXR analog delay as my only effect pedal.
Sonny Morris sjm227@hotmail.com
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Boss RV-3....I have a spare just in case :)

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Thanks Darvin, Brian,Sonbone & Micky. I think that I am getting the idea. I already have the POD XT, which is great for around the house, but has too many options for my wildy erratic brain and overwhelming desire to twiddle knobs. I'll keep this post open for a few days and then attempt to process all the information.
Thanks again guys,
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

I use a Boss DD-5, but liked the DD-3 which is still available better.
I wish I hadn't sold it.
I sometimes use the RV-5 for recording but for live playing I find it too thin sounding and prefer the DD-5.
Don
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

ART SGX 2000 if you can find one.
Dennis Wood

Post by Dennis Wood »

PODxt, with footswitch. set up your verbs and delays in the first four patches, scroll thru the first 4 with the footswitch. simple as you need it but very flexiable and programmable if you need bells & whistles.. pretty good overdrive and distortions too.
auribus teneo lupum
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Thanks to all who replied. Your input is greatly appreciated and helpful. I think that I have enough to go on at this point. You can close this here post in the interest of saving time, space and the environment.
Duncan