Mailwasherpro problerms for Wiz;

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Kenny Pryor

Mailwasherpro problerms for Wiz;

Post by Kenny Pryor »

I keep getting an erro message, wrong user name or password every time I check mail.
Can you help me?

thanks,
Kenny Pryor
IL
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Send me your details via the email link below.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I get that when my ISP is having problems (even though they won't admit it).

I have two accounts setup in Mail Washer Pro and at times I'll just get it on one account.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Castlecops has a forum specifically for MailWasher Pro issues.

I found a discussion about cryptic error messages, here, but it is in version 5.2.

The MailWasher troubleshooting and tips Wiki is here. The official MailWasher Pro FAQ's are here.

My custom MailWasher filters page is on Wizcrafts.net. For the curious I have a full page with a description of how MailWasher Pro works, with links to download or buy it.
Security Consultant
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

There are a few particular items that will cause MailWasher to develop faults. One of them is if you use a custom filter set, and you accidentally have a blank line between filter rules, or blank spaces after the end of a rule, or a linefeed after the last rule, this causes problems.

Bad filter rules are usually removed by MailWasher when it opens. If you hand type a rule into filters.txt and you mistype an important character, or leave out required parenthesis, the program will delete the entire rule, to protect itself. Always save your own custom rules to a text file so you can edit them, in case there are errors, and MWP deletes the entire rule.

It is always best to make sure you have the latest version of MailWasher Pro. There are bug fixes released with each (now infrequent) update to the program.

If you have multiple email accounts and some of them are on your website's mail server and you experience problems sending mail via MWP, change the SMTP port from 25 to 26. If your ISP requires you to use SSL to send and receive email, change the ports as recommended by your ISP. SBC/ATT DSL changed their mail servers in August 2007 to only allow SSL communications, over higher port numbers than POP and SMTP normally use. Failure to use these ports will result in login rejections from your ISP.
Security Consultant
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

If you use custom filters in MailWasher Pro and are getting a lot of male enhancement spam, add this filter rule:

[enabled],"Thunderbird Spam","Thunderbird Spam",16711680,AND,Delete,EntireHeader,contains,"User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)",EntireHeader,contains,"MIME-Version: 1.0"

Place this rule high up in the filters.txt list, after any whitelist rules, like the Restored by MailWasher Pro* rule (in case it deletes a legitimate message sent from a Thunderbird email user). It will catch about 20 to 25% of the current Botnet spam about pharmaceuticals.

Remember, no blank lines between rules, no spaces after the end of a rule, and no linefeed after the last rule!
<hr>
* Here is the Restored by MailWasher Pro rule, to restore deleted non-spam messages. Place it above any deletion rules:

[enabled],"Restored by MWP","Restored by MWP",26112,AND,Legitimate,TakesPrecedence,EntireHeader,contains,"Resent-From: ""MailWasher Pro recycle bin"""
Security Consultant