How to tune an 8-string when only playing chords for comping

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Terje Larson

How to tune an 8-string when only playing chords for comping

Post by Terje Larson »

I've been using this tuning so far, low to high C E G A C E G D with the D on top being lower than the high E. That's pretty practical for lead work but I rarely do any lead work. I play simple chords for backing and I was thinking that perhaps this tuning would be better, low to high F A C E G A C E.
Michael Stover

Post by Michael Stover »

You didn't mention what style of music; for rock or blues you might consider (lo to hi)
G A C E G A C E

This gives you a fifth in the bass of your major triad for a heavy, 'bottleneck blues' feel. Also you have a flat seventh in the bass of your minor triad, which adds an interesting color when used sparingly.

Right now I'm tuned G C E G A C E G on my C6 neck. But I'm considering ditching the high 'G' and going with a lower tuning like the one above.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I use F A C E G A C E for my C6 tuning. I don't comp much these days. What I do is find my 3rds and 7ths and use those as my chords for the swing/ragtime/blues/jazz stuff. For singer songwriter or country type stuff comping on the lap steel is pretty weak sounding and pointless. Like comping with a trumpet. If you are playing a rock/gospel/blues thing like the sacred steelers comping (framing) sounds fantastic with those big power chords in the tuning they use.
Bob
Fred

Post by Fred »

You might consider an 8-string variation of the Leavitt tuning, probably adding two bass strings.

Jerry Byrd's diatonic tuning also has a lot of chords available.

Search the archives for lots of discussion of both.

Fred