Loss of low end on acoustic guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Nee

Loss of low end on acoustic guitar

Post by Jim Nee »

I have an old Bronson Raido King square neck that has a very active back. When I play it standing up, it has great low frequency response but looses much of it's richness when played on the lap.
Short of clamping the guitar between my knees, does anyone have suggestions on how to get around this problem when sitting?
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Use a "dobro" strap to suspend it over your lap.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I am either remembering something that I once saw or I am totally making this up.....I seem to recall seeing something clamped to the sides of a guitar and suspended across the back but not touching it that formed a gut brace that prevented the gut from contacting and damping the back of the sound box. Picture the way a shoulder bracket clamps onto a fiddle and that's sort of what you had here.
It was interesting. Or if I am making it up, I am interesting.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Jon - I don't think you are making it up. I seem to remember such a device that was designed for mandolins.

Lee

Edited to say:

Aha! Here it is!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">

Edited again to say:

They make them for guitars, also.

Link to Tone-Gard

[This message was edited by Lee Baucum on 04 October 2006 at 01:35 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Lee Baucum on 04 October 2006 at 01:40 PM.]</p></FONT>