Fooled Around And Fell In Love

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Bassett

Fooled Around And Fell In Love

Post by Bill Bassett »

Got to know!
Who is the lovely young woman playing such nice steel behind Rod Stewart?

Thanks in advance,
BDBassett
Rimrock AZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Mnj1cSESg#
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

I dindt hear ANY steel in that song. Its not Cindy Cashdollar is it?

No offense Cindy if thats you...just didnt hear any steel in there. PS you are lookin GREAT! as always.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

It's definitely NOT Cindy Cashdollar! And it's not Robin Ruddy...
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Didn't look like Cindy to me. I got the impression that she was playing a student model.

It irks me that the people who pulls the strings - in this case Rod Stewart?- can't let the steel have its 20 seconds of glory the same as the lead guitar. Everything was cranked up so bad that the steel was totally drowned out. Why then do they even have a steel guitar in the band? Time and again I see this when the steel is in a rock band. It just bugs me.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

It's a shame about the tattoos
Greg Vincent

Post by Greg Vincent »

Those tattoos could have gotten her the gig.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

This looks like a pure lip-synch job with a track - I don't know if it's true or not. But I didn't hear one note of steel guitar. I think it shows the street cred of pedal steel guitar - in the video, but inaudible or not present on the track.

I'll take Elvin Bishop's original version any day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFa0f2SgEs Much more greasy. 8)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i've always loved this song!

elvin bishop's 'original' version...interestingly, as one of his biggest hits, wasn't written 'or' sung by elvin....did he even play guitar on it?

things aren't always as they seem.

the steel in the rod stewart video isn't even plugged in, speaking of any kind of 'cred'. there's an empty jack on the end.

who knows, the girl might not even be a girl these days!
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Dave Mudgett wrote:This looks like a pure lip-synch job with a track - I don't know if it's true or not. But I didn't hear one note of steel guitar. I think it shows the street cred of pedal steel guitar - in the video, but inaudible or not present on the track.

I'll take Elvin Bishop's original version any day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFa0f2SgEs Much more greasy. 8)
My first thought was that it (the steel and the young lady) was a prop, but I didnt want to insult the player if indeed she was playing. i realize its a video and I expect videos to be "synched" and not a live performance so none of that would bother me really, guitar plugged or not. Im not a stickler for realism in music videos..where you often have a guitar player playing three different guitars in the same solo.

Only reason I thought it might be Cindy is she's supposedly been touring with Rod recently, has long blonde hair , and is using a grooved bar and it seems (tho its hard to tell when you cant hear any steel) not using any pedals. I'll agree it doesnt really look like her tho....

Does Rod have any daughters? that would be my next guess.
Google has yeilded nothing but Cindy cashdollar references and my curiosity is definetly peaked.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

That's Robin Ruddy, I think.
Patrick
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

richard burton wrote:It's a shame about the tattoos
I agree with Mr. Burton. :\
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Could be Patrick. Here's a tatt-less Robin..but who knows..maybe she got a lil ink since this shot? or maybe those are some temporary tatts for the vid? Also odd she was playin a student model with a grooved bar in the video.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Well, now I'm not sure. I looked at Robin's myspace page, and she's definitely on tour with Rod, but I'm not positive that's her in the video. It looks a lot like her, but I didn't see the tattoos on her in any of the pictures.

Perhaps they brought in a stunt double? Or maybe these tattoos are the kind that I wish I had...you know the kind that aren't permanent.

(edited to add) oops, I see you've got the same idea Ben!
Patrick
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

you didnt get a "Taz" tatt did you Patrick? Or a "Calvin peeing on something"? :lol:

um....no offense to anyone who might actually have those tattoos
Bill Bassett

So Robin Ruddy it is.

Post by Bill Bassett »

I'm convinced, thanks guys and gals.

As for INK, I was 52 when I got my first tat.
It was my mid-life crisis present to myself being as how my wife would not let me have:
A. A Corvette
B. A Motorcycle
C. A Mistress
D. A Ponytail

As for not being able to hear the steel...HUH? It's right there from the very first note.

As for 'string-syncing' in videos. Who cares.

Like the tats or not, like the guitar or not, like the staging or not, anyone who get themselves to that level deserves my respect and yes, a little admiration.

So Says Bill

BDBassett
Rimrock AZ
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Haven't heard Rod's version, but will be listening for it as it would take a really open and creative mind to fit steel guitar into this tune, if it is the same Elvin Bishop tune I'm thinking of.

Chris, It's interesting that one of EB's most widely recognized efforts had someone else on vocals. As to whether or not he played on it, I can only guess that he probably did.

My impressions coming from the album that featured tunes like "Travelin' Shoes", the later offering mentioned above seems out of line with the earlier Elvin Bishop stuff.

I am fortunate to have seen EB here for a live concert where he came out in the audience with a wireless rig and made a lot of fans happy.

Never a big Stewart fan, but compliments to him on his perserverance lo these many years. :whoa:
Bill Bassett

Oh, It fits real good.

Post by Bill Bassett »

I play steel in Fooled Around every Saturday night with The Retros. Fits like a glove. Same basic changes as Lay Lady Lay. Lots of room for some very pretty chord movements, descending chimes, heavy power ballad fuzz tone lead ride. That song has it all. (Not to mention all the nice vocal ooooos and aaaaaas)

BD
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Rod signed the guest book on Roy Ayres site and talked about how much he loved steel guitar. I can't remember the words but I think he said he was learning to play.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Well, Bill, I guess I am just too hard of hearing to hear it then. I was even listening with earphones.
In that case, sorry for the rant. :o :whoa:
Cal Freeman

Post by Cal Freeman »

The Elvin Bishop version was a stratacaster played with a volume pedal. I played steel on the T.G. Sheppard recording, and it was hard to duplicate the effect because of the difference in timber.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Ben Jones wrote:you didnt get a "Taz" tatt did you Patrick? Or a "Calvin peeing on something"? :lol:

um....no offense to anyone who might actually have those tattoos
:lol: Ha! No, nothing quite along those lines. Actually, I'm still sort of content with the one tattoo I have. I got it when we did the tour with Biohazard, and skin just didn't look quite right if it wasn't inked. ;-)

In (the required) olde english lettering, I've got a big "Just Kidding" on the shoulder.
Patrick
Jim Park

Post by Jim Park »

I've always liked this tune as well, I think there is pedal steel on EB's cut, although I cant find very much info about the session, as it just lists guitar, and slide guitar and fairly vague at that. BUT.those were the days when EB was hanging out with Garcia and company....... so maybe there is a pedal steel on there .INQUIRING minds want to know...what do you think Chris??
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Don't know who she is,Don't think it Robin,know it's not Cindy.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

She looks young enuf to be Rod's new wife.