Semi hollow body converted to lap steel/Leavitt tuning?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dave Sky

Semi hollow body converted to lap steel/Leavitt tuning?

Post by Dave Sky »

I have an old Oscar Schmidt semi hollow body guitar OE30.I want to use the Leavitt tuning and thought the guitar would add to the jazz sound.

I'll put on a riser nut and wondered if the c6 strings for sale from the forum would be alright to use?

So, will the C6 strings be okay for the guitar
and is the C6 strings the ones to use for Leavitt tuning?

Thanks for your help!
Dave
basilh

Post by basilh »

Well, William Leavitt's tuning is

1. D
2. C
3. Bb
4. G
5. E
6. C#

and the C6th is

1. E
2. C
3. A
4. G
5. E
6. C

So, they're not far removed, but the scale length of your guitar is longer than the C6 set is designed for, therefor you should really use at least 2-4 thou' lighter..IMHO
Therman Jones

Post by Therman Jones »

Hi Dave,
The C6 is probably closest to the Leavitt tuning, but Basil brings up a valid point...the string sets would be designed for a scale length of 22" - 24" while your guitar is probably 25" to 25 1/2". To be on the safe side you should consider a lighter set...you might email bOb and see if he can put a set together for you.

If you are like me and already had a set of C6 strings in hand, I'd slap'em on and start playing. The first string should be ok as it only tunes to D and the others probably will do. Just watch the neck for any strain...bowing, etc. If you notice any issues then go to a lighter set.

The important thing is to get playing and enjoy the possibilities of the Leavitt tuning. If you are looking for instructional help, Mike Ihde's course is the place to start, along with the courses by Roy Thomson. For inspiration, look up the songs posted here on the forum by Bill Hatcher.

If you like the old jazz standards and the 'cool chords' you will love the Leavitt tuning.

Therman 'Ukuleleo' Jones
Customized 8 string Artisan lap steel....it will have to do until I hit the lottery...
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

basilh wrote:... but the scale length of your guitar is longer than the C6 set is designed for, therefore you should really use at least 2-4 thou' lighter..
...or tune to B6.
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

Thanks!
Basilh- I'll go with lighter strings. I didn't think of the difference in scale length.

Therman- I bought Mike's book based on your enthusiasm over the Leavit tuning. Thanks also for information on the Bill Hatcher songs.

Alan, I'll look into B6 if the Leavitt tuning doesn't work out.

I thought about getting a $79 Artisan for the Leavitt tuning if the semi hollow body doesn't work out. Since you don't use slants would it be an advantage to use a short scale in Leavitt tuning?
Has anyone used Leavitt on a short scale lap?
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Dave, I think the implication of Alan's suggestion about tuning to B6 (and he can correct me if I'm reading him wrong) is that the C6 string set would work best on your long-scale guitar if you tuned it a half-step down to B6, OR in the case of the Leavitt tuning, tune a half-step down to:
C#
B
A
F#
D#
C

Leavitt tablature would still work fine, of course-- but any recorded instructional material might need to be pitch corrected.
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

Thanks Stephan!
Yes, B6 is what I need.
Thanks for explaining B6.

Alan-I appreciate your wisdom.

I have so much to learn.

The Forum is the place!
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Dave, you're welcome. Just wanted to be clear that the tuning I spelled out above is not B6, but the Leavitt tuning dropped down a half step. B6 is:

D#
B
G#
F#
D#
B

These two tunings are close enough that, if you want, you should be able to re-tune from one to the other without any trouble, with the C6 string set mentioned before.

Of course, if you want to take advantage of recorded Leavitt and/or C6 instruction, it might be simpler to make a Leavitt/C6 string set out of individual strings, using slightly lighter gauges as Basil suggested, for use with the original Leavitt tuning-- and/or C6-- as he spelled them out. Good luck!