Rickenbacher NS

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Lee Hiers

Rickenbacher NS

Post by Lee Hiers »

Howdy...

I've got a chance to get one of these (at least I think that's the model)...only thing is that it's pretty beat. Tuners are shot, there's a pretty good spot of rust on the body, the tone control doesn't seem to do anything, the volume knob won't rotate, and it looks like the pup magnets were painted black (were they all chrome or nickel?). Unfortunately, I can't get a good idea of the sound due to the volume pot and general scratchiness...but the pup does make some sound.

I don't really care too much about the originality of the guitar or the appearance for that matter, but do care about the sound. Assuming I could get a good-sounding functional guitar with new tuners, new pots and wiring, and a general clean-up: how much should I pay for something like this?

Thanks!

Lee
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"
Don Fox

Post by Don Fox »

A Ricky NS in dead mint condition (almost impossible to imagine) is probably worth about $600, tops. That is, I don't see the market bearing more than that any time soon. A typical NS, with some minor rust spots, scratches, original hardware, and in working condition - may fetch $400-500 on a good day. A guitar such as you have described - I wouldn't give more than $200 or so for it. The amount of work/money needed to bring it up to reasonable playing condition would be better spent buying one in better condition from the outset. They come available on ebay with great regularity. (The Model 59 with 1 1/2" PU should run about $100-300 more than an NS, and I believe is a better value).
Lee Hiers

Post by Lee Hiers »

Thanks Don,

That's what I was looking for...think I'll pass on this one!
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"