A Bridge Too High

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Todd Weger

A Bridge Too High

Post by Todd Weger »

Well, as posted in the "Tricone Fever" thread, I really like the Republic a lot, given the low cost especially.

I want to put heavier strings on it though, and I think there may be a problem. The T-bridge cover is right now just barely over the the strings. If they were any thicker, I think I'd have buzz issues by the string hitting the T-bridge cover. They're almost there now (almost, but not quite). The bridge could stand to go down about an 1/8 inch, to be honest.

Is the bridge easy enough to lower, or does this involve sanding the bottom of it? It's a maple with ebony cap bridge. I haven't opened it up until I heard from someone who might know what I need to do.

I have no problem doing a sanding, if that's what it takes. I'm hyper-careful about that kind of thing, and have done it with perfect results on two acoustics of mine.

Thanks.
TJW
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
David Venzke

Post by David Venzke »

Todd,

If it were me, I'd burnish the new strings into the bridge slots, string it up, bring it up to tension and THEN decide what to do about string/coverplate clearance.

-Dave
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

MY Republic has the same issue. the saddle is a bit too high. String it up first and see if there is a buzz.
Todd Weger

I agree...

Post by Todd Weger »

I'm going to string it up next week when my strings arrive, and if it is buzzing due to the bridge being too high and strings hitting the cover, then I guess I'll pop that puppy off and have a look see...

tx
Eric Barker

Post by Eric Barker »

Todd,

Mine was also too high. I pulled out the bridge insert and sanded about 1/16 off of the bottom; just mark a line parallel with the bottom at whatever amount you want to remove and carefully sand using sandpaper lying on a hard flat surface. Make sure to keep the insert at 90 degrees to the sanding surface and dead flat. It sure makes sliding the strings out of the way for bridge adjustments a lot easier.