Rusty Young Sighting

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bernie Straub

Rusty Young Sighting

Post by Bernie Straub »

Poco played Charleston last Friday, opening for America. My wife had snagged us second row seats, and it turned out to be one of the greatest concerts I have ever seen in my 58 years.

He had his black Carter S-10 3X4 running dry through a Twin. Poco played for about an hour, and he sat down at the PSG only three times, which was disappointing, but worth the wait. He played without fingerpicks. The highlight for me was "Magnolia" which I loved on record, live it was unbelievable. He is definately fronting the band, and singing on most of the tunes. Particularly impressive the way he can sing and play steel at the same time. How many of us can do that?

Also memorable, he took off his ball cap and asked rhetorically, "how come the Eagles aint bald?" Great stuff. What a fine band, celebrating 40 years. And none of them younger than yours truely.

Oh, and America was pretty good, too.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Hey Bernie...Did they play Bad Weather?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Fred Bova

Post by Fred Bova »

Did he use a Thumb pick, or was he playing with just his bare thumb and fingers?
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Poco of old with Jim Messina, Richie Furay, Timothy B Schmidt and Larry Grantham on drums back in the early 70's really changed my whole musical direction toward country and bluegrass as a teen.All of those guys went on to make musical history. The live album Deliverin' (72?)is still one of my all time favorites and greatest country rock live albums of all time. Combining the above lineup with Rusty Young and that band was one for the ages and very underrated compared with Eagles etc. How could any new Poco lineup even compare with that amazing original band? Great to hear they are still out there in some form with Rusty!
Fred Bova

Post by Fred Bova »

Did he use a Thumb pick, or was he playing with just his bare thumb and fingers?