A few good words about Bill Stroud and BJS tone bars

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bobby Bowman

A few good words about Bill Stroud and BJS tone bars

Post by Bobby Bowman »

I walked up to Bill Thursday (3-13-08) and handed him an old bar I've had for about 12 years or so and asked if he could fix it or help it out in any way. It had been put through the mill, so to speak, and was in pretty bad shape.
He looked it over for a few minutes and said he didn't think it was one of his bars to which I said I thought I had bought it from him years ago in St. Louis.
Bill reached down under his booth table and brought up a big box with a lot of new BJS tone bars in it. He fumbled around and finally found a new bar that pretty well matched the old bar and handed it to me. I felt of it and liked the way it was balanced in my left hand. I reached for my billfold to pay him and he just waved his hand and said "no charge". I was speechless but managed a meager "thank you Bill".
Folks, it just don't get any better than that!
If you don't have a BJS bar, you owe it to yourself to try one,,,,they are the best and so is Bill Stroud.
Thanks again Bill,
BB

I don't know where that smiley came from, but it looks pretty nice. It's suspossed to '08.
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com
Dan Burnham

BJS as good as it plays

Post by Dan Burnham »

Bill is a stand up guy. He's one of the finest I know. I have 3 BJS Bars and I wouldn't trade or sell them. Besides making great bars, Bill is a great person.

Dan
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

I have 3 BJS bars,and they are THE best! :D
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Best bars ever. :)
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I have the BJS Hughey 15/16 lite bar and it is by far the best bar I have ever used ----ever! anyway you want to rate it!
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

You can count me in as a BJS fan. Great Service from a terrific standup guy, for sure.

I have a BJS "LLoyd Green" model......best thing I ever did to get the best.

Sure, I like Bill....but I like his BJS Tone Bar better.

I'll be getting another one, slighly larger when it's avialible. TX

Rgds,

Ron
JCFSGC member 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Fender Stringmaster D8,
"83" Emmons LeGrande 77L SKH D10 8 & 5,
"67" All Original Telecaster & Original Owner
"86" Peavey Factory Modified NV 400,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10"s, RV-3, Upgraded chip set GE-7 EQ, CH1 Chorus, DS-1, Hilton, BJS Bar.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Bill's service is top shelf and his 15/16" bar is my favorite.

Greg
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Frankly, I don't see how he stays in business. He stands behind his product to an extent I've never known anyone to do. I'm even concerned that perhaps we take unnecessary advantage of his good nature and absolute replacement policy.

I reluctantly showed him a BJS that I had kept in my music room at home and owned for several years, but had actually been used just a few times...less than a dozen. The chrome plating had begun to fade off the butt end. He gave me another bar, which is what I'm using all the time now.

I remain overwhelmed by what a fine man Bill Stroud is. And he happens to make a pretty daggone good bar too :!:
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

Bill´s a fine gentleman to do business with.

I just recieved his 15/16 Hughey 12-string bar after consulting him about which one to take.
In a very fast reply mail he convinced me to get the bigger bar and his advice was spot-on!
Even though I am lousy player (on good days :oops: ), I could hear and feel the fuller tone and grear sustain right away! Kinda scary...

The delivery to Germany was real fast and flawless.
After reading all your enthusiastic reviews about Bill´s bars, buying one was the best thing I could do!
I deeply recommend it to anybody.

I still have one big problem with BJS bars though:
Now I sold all my excuses for bad tone... :wink:
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Bobby that was more than just a few words but everyone of them touched me also. I have had a BJS bar for more years than I can count. Other than a small dent on the back end it is still just great. I switched to my BJS sitar bar last gig, it has never been used in the 12 plus years I have had it, bought is as a back up bar.

Larry Behm
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Yup.

Me too.

I got a 10 string bar from him recently and after I used it for a gig or two realized how used to my longer "Shot" bar I'd become.

I hesitated to ask, but he said NO problem, that he'd swap it out. Perfect shape, but still, I prefer the 3 9/16".

Good service as far as I'm concerned.

:)

EJL
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

Bill makes the finest products and no one gives better customer service. Enough said. I have three of these great bars.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.
Bobby Bowman

Bill Stroud and BJS tone bars

Post by Bobby Bowman »

A bump for Bill and his tone bars.
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i'm in too
a great bar & great service
jump in there son ! ;-)
Bob Knight

BJS BARS

Post by Bob Knight »

I have been using Bill's bars since the early 70s. There's not another product that come even close in quality and service. Beside all that, Bill is my Friend. :)
<b>Rick Johnson Cabinets<b>
<b>Brand X Custom Fiber Cases</b>
<b> John Pearse Thumb Picks, Bars and Strings</b>
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

I bought a BJS bar at the TSGA Jamboree this past weekend...I really like it soo far :)

Brandon
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I have used the same BJS bar for many, many years with no problems. I purchased a 1" bar at the show, and it is the greatest ever. I did not really need a bar, except when I almost lost my left hand a couple of years ago, it was real hard holding on to the smaller bar. The 1" completely corrected my problem. Thank GOD for Bill Stroud and BJS bars. Jody.
Dennis Lobdell

Post by Dennis Lobdell »

I just finished a two and a half hour practice session with the BJS bar that I purchased this week end at the Dallas show,it really seems comfortable.Thanks Bill. Dennis
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I picked up a 15/16 Hughey bar in Dallas to stand alongside my 7/8 birthstone bar. Bill is really good people......we had a few laughs about how you can buff a BJS bar on concrete. :)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Bill Stroud

Hospitality

Post by Bill Stroud »

Thank all of you for your kind words, the reason I try and take care of my customers is that I would not want anybody playing a product that I made that I would not use.
Let me say that I really enjoyed and felt honored to come back to Dallas this year, everyone was so friendly, made me feel so welcome, the hospitality could not have been any better.
All the Steel Guitar vendors made you feel welcome and invited you to play their steels, but if your like me you have to have your personal picks with you to do that.
Met with some really nice people down there, and you can count on me next year also if the good Lord allows me to be there.
All of the vendors were nice and Albert, Jody, Bro Hallford, and all was just a pleasure to talk to.
Boy that Ms Tally at Sunday Church really sung her song with feeling, it was good. Everyone sounded great.
Wasn't it great to see all of our UK friends and all that traveled a great distance to come over here to share their talents, and imput on subjects that we all share with one another.
Looking forward to next year.

Thanks to all that uses the BJS Bar from the bottom of my heart.
Your Friend,
Bill & Shirl Girl
PS: She (Shirley) will be with me next year....
David Hartley

Hi Bill

Post by David Hartley »

It was such a great pleasure meeting you Bill and your friend Lee too. Thanks for sending those pictures through to me Bill so quickly. I arrived home today at 11.30am (UK). It was just an amasing weekend for myself and Keith too. We are both coming back in 2009.

And now for my coments on the BJS bars, I own 3 now, I purchased my first plain 15/16th a few months ago, then Bill insisted I have a birthstone bar free of charge and sent that to me along with a selection of picks, AND at the TSGA he handed me another one of his fine bars with a special gemstone in the end again which he insisted is another free of charge. I am forever in his debt in my mind but Bill insists, its a gift. Thank you so much. David Hartley
Mickey Adams

Bill

Post by Mickey Adams »

I was home for only 1 day, and Bill called me on the phone to tell me he had my bar ready to ship...Great service, great guy, great product...thats bar #4 for me...Mickey Adams
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I, too, had the pleasure of meeting Bill in person. I
bought another John Hughey 15/16 bar. It's probably the 5th or sixth I've bought from Bill. My students talk me out of them after they see the difference in quality and feel. 8)
Glyn Bone

Post by Glyn Bone »

I have just recently purchased a second BJS bar from Bill...this time a 1" x 11.7 oz job...and I swear on my Mothers grave that it has cured my intonation AND sustain woes.....(see recent thread on `sustain` )

Bill...as the Aussies would tell ya.." ya bloods worth bottlin` mate " only one breed of bar for this little black duck from now on.

What kind of picks did you get Mr. Hartley ?

A Squillion thanks Bill :)
Glyndwr

Carter SD10 4x5 with Wallace TrueTone ( 18K ohms)
Peavey NV 112
Hilton Vol.Ped.
Brad Sarno 'Freeloader'
Boss/Roland SE-20 Space Echo
BJS `Hughey` bar
BJS 1" bar
Zookie thumbpicks
Dunlop and JN finger picks
Bill Stroud

Thanks

Post by Bill Stroud »

Hi to all,
David you have help me with your products also, so the least that I could do for you is to present you with a gift. It was my pleasure to have met you and Keith. I will see you in Dallas next year as I'm going to make Dallas an annual thing, everybody was so nice and pleasant to be around.
Glyn, the picks where an assortment of Hard Chrome Picks, Nationals which by the way I sold all of them in Dallas have to get some more, Kyser picks they are good picks, Dunlop gage picks, Pro-Pik different stlyes. Also the Zookie 10 degree thumb pick which I really like.
Thanks to all for using the BJS Bars
Bill