Wanted:Inexpensive Metal Body Squareneck

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Terry Goodman

Wanted:Inexpensive Metal Body Squareneck

Post by Terry Goodman »

I'm looking for an inexpensive (re:cheap) metal body squareneck. Any recommendations?
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I can't think of anything under $1500 other than a Johnson squareneck tricone.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

It's not widely known. There are a few Paul Beard designed Gold Tone GRE and GRS models with sq necks. These are biscuit bridge guitars.

Tom Pittman from the Lounge Lizards is playing one now.

HowardP
Beard Guitars<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 23 April 2006 at 01:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

Old gentelman in my neck of the woods is selling a new Johnson round neck for $500. Email me for telephone # if your interested.
Terry Goodman

Post by Terry Goodman »

Russ, thanks. I've seen the Johnson tricone at Elderly's site and am somewhat interested. Do you have any first hand experience with it?

Howard, the Beard was where I looked first since I have a very nice Beard Vintage Cherry. Plus all the good things folks are saying here about the Beard/Goldtone wood bodies. All I see at Goldtone's site are round necks; any idea where Tom Pittman may have run across his? Special order maybe?

Thanks, Robert, but I definately want a squareneck.

Terry
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

I have one of those Johnson squareneck tricones, from Elderly Instruments. The original tuners were junk, and fell apart. Elderly sent me some new National tuners (gratis) to replace them, and they are much better. I scoured the internet for information on these guitars, and found that many owners (mostly round-necks) were doing what they called a "mushroom mod" which increases the volume and changes the tone. If you open up the body, you will find that there are three mushroom shaped pieces of wood that are wedged in between the neck extension rod and the back of the guitar. It is unlikely that all three of these are making even contact between the guitar and the rod, so you take out the middle one. Then you push the other two as far apart as possible. One towards the endpin, the other towards the neck block. This leaves a much larger area of the back to resonate, making the guitar louder and deeper. YMMV, but I found this to be an improvement. I gig some with this guitar in an acoustic setting, along with a Martin D-28 and an old Dobro roundneck -- and I can use the same mic settings for all three. Is it as good as a new or old National tricone? No way. Is it a decent value for $600? Yes.