Regarding BIAB with Vista operating system question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dick Rivera

Regarding BIAB with Vista operating system question

Post by Dick Rivera »

I purchased a Gateway laptop (1 Gig of memory) for running Band in a Box. The operating system is Vista. When the screen saver comes on there is a slight pause and in the music. Then returns to normal. Does this occur for you XP users? Dick Rivera
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

When a screen saver activates there can be an interruption in the music or anything else that is happening. Happens in all operating systems, not just Vista.

BTW, 1GB is not enough for Vista, you need at least 2GB (and many new PC's are being sold with 3GB of memory, which is all ANY 32 bit Operating system can address).
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

I have a laptop running Vista and have never had a problem with using BIAB. I am not sure why your screen saver is running while BIAB is running?? Why not simply turn off the screen saver? Screen savers were a necessary evil at one time, however I am not sure they are necessary with newer technology?? I am quite sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. That being said, I never use a screen saver, I simply let the system hibernate when not in use.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Modern color screens do not "burn in" like the old monochrome screens did. The PC's video board is constantly updating and rescanning the screen and Screen Savers are not really needed anymore.

Although this is really a subject for the computer section, not the Electronics, a comment on another computer function - Standby. Standby was originally designed for old Laptops to conserve battery power. With many desktop (Tower) PC's Standby can cause many problems such as losing communications, loss of keyboard control, loss of peripherals (e.g. printer), loss of sound, and many other issues. Some never have problems with Standby, some use it for a long time and then start to have problems and some have problems from the start. Because of all the potential Standby problems, instead of using Standby, "turn off" the monitor and hard drive(s) at whatever time delay interval you select and that will eliminate the Standby issues.