A Well Dressed Man !!! Bakersfield's Own...Larry Petree

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Jackson

A Well Dressed Man !!! Bakersfield's Own...Larry Petree

Post by Rick Jackson »

I couldn't resist putting this on the forum. This is my dear friend Larry Petree in 1959 with Jelly Sanders in Bakersfield. What a good looking young guy with a gorgeous Bigsby. Larry,I know where the Bigsby is, what happened to that good looking kid???? :lol:
Larry Petree

what happened?

Post by Larry Petree »

Rick, too many birthdays will do that to a person.
But, check out the great vintage equipment we had, and didn't even know it at the time.
Thanks, for the memories.
Larry Petree, Bakersfield Ca.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hey Larry, is that the guitar you got from Billy Mize in a trade for another guitar?, then you sold it, got it back, made some changes to it and later sold it again, then one day it wound up on eBay and was bought by a Forum member I believe.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Great picture!!!!! he had way to much hair!!! :whoa: :lol:
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I met Larry in the early seventies. He was a very nice and modest person, I thought he sounded great. Some time around then, Jelly sat in with us at Democrat Hot Springs playing Mandolin. A very fine picker too. And David, I remember when you had hair. I must say you look much cooler now.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Howard, Larry is still the same person you met back in the 70's and still sounds great. I get out to hear him play now and then as he keeps pretty busy with his steel. What's fun is to catch him when he's playin with Red Simpson at Trout's and someone like Tommy Hays shows up to play. It's great.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

David Wright wrote:Great picture!!!!! he had way to much hair!!! :whoa: :lol:
He still does. It's just not as dark as it once was.

I sat in (on 6 string) with Larry and Red Simpson(?) a year or 2 ago. Great player. Uses the Day set up.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

I met Larry in 1995 in Modesto and had an immediate respect for him and high regard for his playing. One word that describes Larry (spoken by a mutual acquaintance) is CLASS. I always look forward to March in Texas where we have our best chance to see friends like Larry and his entourage....Rick Jackson , Harvey Wanier , Etc.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Let me add my "ditto"!. Larry is a great guy, and must be older than I thought if that picture is from '59! A big help with some parts for my PP D10.

He's good with old trucks too.

Peter Freiberger
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Larry is one of the nicest guy's you'll find in the steel world!!!!!..... 8)
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Amen to all the kudos for my Bakersfield pal. He's a top-shelf margarito.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
GaryHoetker

Larry Petree

Post by GaryHoetker »

Everything said about Larry beforehand is certifiablly true and then more. I'm glad I know him.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I must add that Larry is also a first class repairman. I used to have a D-12, and although the C6 neck was fine, the E9 neck was seriously out of whack, and Larry straightened it out for me.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Randall Palmore

Post by Randall Palmore »

All my best to my friend, Larry Petree. What a cool picture! Thanks for posting
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

Did Larry play steel on the Red Simpson tune "We're Gonna Get You, Bin Laden"? Who ever did, it's terrific playing.
Alan Harrison

"chops" Petree

Post by Alan Harrison »

Geezz, Larry has been a dear friend since 1970. Seems like a life time ago. Back then, he was playing with Jelly Sanders some and I was playing lead guitar with Buck Owens Brother, can't think of his name (that's a problem I have quite frequently) I Have always admired Larry.
He ia a great friend and a really nice person as well as being a fine Steel'er. Just wish he would quit buying new steels and then selling them to me. I think I'm on my third one now. "Keep hitting the Easy Button Larry". Alan
PS. Larry, have I told you how much I love the Mullen?
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

What a great time to be a musician.It musta been great to be part of the whole music scene back in the 50's and 60's and be part of the "Bakersfield Sound" which is still being played by guys like Larry. I envy those that started out on those early instruments and helped to define the sound of the modern steel guitar.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Gosh! I thought I was the only one around here who liked Larry. :D

Great to see the old photo. Larry, tell us how you rocked A&B and gave the volume swells all in one lick--standing up. Oh, and is it true that George Strait's "The Fireman" is about you? :D

I met Larry in 2000 or so when he came to Scotty's and brought his Bakersfield sidekick -- the one and only Norm Hamlet. Larry and I have been "pen pals" ever since. Of course, we use keyboards and not pens.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Larry Petree

Thanks

Post by Larry Petree »

I just want to say thanks for all the kind words, and emails, from the Forum family, and friends.
Larry Petree, Bakersfield Ca.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I got a better idea Larry, next time I catch you playin at Trout's with Red Simpson...buy me a cold beer :)
norm hamlet

Larry Petree

Post by norm hamlet »

Larry and I have been friends for so long I don`t want to tell How long. Everyone should have a friend like Larry, He has helped me and so many steel players and is a great player also.
Norm
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hey, three Bakersfield boys in a row...gotta mean something...almost makes me wanna run out and buy a lotto ticket!