Question About Great Headphones

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Buck Dilly

Question About Great Headphones

Post by Buck Dilly »

I have a POD-XT and spend a lot of practice time with headphones. I currently us AKG 44 headphones. These are good, but is there a set of great studio type headphones out there that won't cost me a fortune? Under $100 would be nice. Please advise.
Push Pull Emmons: D-10 bolt on; D-12. Fender S-8 & T-8 lapsteels. National Resos and Lapsteels.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Sony MDR7506

Brad
Joe Shelby

Post by Joe Shelby »

Grado SR 80.

Joe.
Neil Getz

Post by Neil Getz »

Get open-back headphones - They are much more comfortable than closed-back for long hours of practice. They are not so suitable for recording studio cue purposes since they leak sound more than closed-back.

As to which model, for the purpose you describe you would be throwing money away to buy "great" instead of "good". Over any amount of practice time you will get used to the sound of any headphones you might purchase.

Consider the Sennheiser HD465 set. It's hard to go wrong with that brand. The Grado's mentioned above are also open-backed.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I have a set of Sony MDR600s. That's all I usually practice through. If I had to buy another set, I'd probably get some open back Sennheisers, but I'm not going to spend the $$$ right now.
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

Thank You guys. Sony MDR7506 it is. I want the closed phones and Brad's word is like gospel. I appreciate the input.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Within your price range, get the ones with the lowest frequency range of bass response. Bass is the thing most lacking in headphones.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Buck... good call.

The Sony MDR-7506 are really great headphones. If mine ever die, I'll buy new ones as soon as humanly possible.
Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

MDR 7506-I take these to all sessions.