Pearse "Uncle Josh" Strings - why two 18's?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ian

Pearse "Uncle Josh" Strings - why two 18's?

Post by Ian »

Hey,

I've been thinking about trying different strings out on my Dobro. I noticed the John Pearse Uncle Josh set has an .018 for the first as well as the second string. Anyone know the reason for this. Also, does anyone use or recommend these. I'm using the Beard Special 29's but have been thinking about switching to something lighter.

Thanks a lot,

Ian Reynolds
David McAnelly

Post by David McAnelly »

If you want to go lighter, I would not use the Uncle Josh set since they are pretty heavy. Of course you would also be switching to nickel from bronze and going to an unwound 3rd string. I have tried these strings and like them, but then I am partial to an unwound 3rd and nickel plating.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

As I understand it, those sets are based on Josh's principle for using two .018's to get relatively the same volume and timbre out of the notes on both those strings. works pretty well, in fact.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Hi guys. I wasn't even aware of Uncle Josh strings, but for many years I've been using #18 strings for both first and second on both lap steel and Dobro. And I just have one reason, nothing to do with tone or volume. Everybody's heard this from me many times-I'm from the old school and am heavy handed, and to me there's nothing worse than having the first string like trampoline, going up and down with the bar pressure. I'm glad to see some string maker realizes that fact of life!!!

Geo in Peach Pickin' country, Niagara.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the responses.

Ian