tunning key ratios question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steven Black

tunning key ratios question

Post by Steven Black »

can anyone tell me what the ratios should be on tunning keys on a steel guitar? I am building a steel and need to know what the ratios should be before I order my tunning keys.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Steven, have a look at these...they might be just what you're looking for. They even give some measurements.

Scroll down the page to find the pedal steel tuners.

Click Here
Best regards,
Mike
Bobby Johnson

Post by Bobby Johnson »

I noticed that the Grover 210-C series is for PSG thats awsome But also the site is in the UK where would one find thease in the US?

Also is there a short shaft sperzel for PSG and where can one find them?
Any help would be great.

Thanks Bobby Johnson
Thanks Bobby
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

For tuning precision, the higher the ratio the better.

I would go for the truly beautiful Gotoh Delta series, which are 22:1 and have "rock solid" string posts - no wiggle at all. I have them on one of my acoustic guitars, and they are extremely smooth and accurate. Smooth organic looks as well. Luthier's Mercantile sells them, Stew-Mac also (but they only carry the 18:1 version, which looks the same). My self-build project will be keyless, though.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Sperzel's are made close to you, in Cleveland.

I don't know what the ratio is, but my Franklin has them and I know Carter uses them so they must be suited for Pedal Steel.
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

The Sperzel keys I had on a Telecaster (now sold) were 12:1, the low end of the ratio spectrum. But they had a nice satin finish and cool square looks. Most tuning machines are in the 12:1 - 15:1 range. Steinberger and LSR are the extreme solutions at 40:1, but the former would be impossible to turn on a steel, and the latter are no longer in production (and wouldn't work with a peg winder anyway). If you go keyless, you are free to choose any ratio.