Who is the steeler with Linda Ronstadt- 1974

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Zirbel

Who is the steeler with Linda Ronstadt- 1974

Post by Dave Zirbel »

He's playing an Emmons and sounds great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4B92a5D ... ed&search=
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I dunno, but that guitarist looks like the guy on the Geico commercials... :shock:
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I'll ask Warford (who's playing the stringbender stuff) - he told me a while back but I forgot..maybe Don Beck?
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Just might be Dan Dugmore. I know he was on the original cut of "Blue Bayou".

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

The album, Don't Cry Now, gives credit to: Ed Black, Buddy Emmons, and Sneaky Pete Kleinow.

Even though he's not credited on the album,
this article appeared in Guitar Player, 1984 on Dan Dugmore:

"While recording with Stewart, Dan met bassist Kenny Edwards, who in turn recommended Dugmore for a spot in Linda Ronstadt's group. "She just finished Heart Like A Wheel," says Dan, "so we toured while that went up and hit #1."

Also in the Ronstadt band was another steel guitarist, Ed Black. "That was around '74, when we were still sharing rooms on the road," Dan reminisces, "so Ed said, 'We'd better room together, because we're either going to be best friends or hate each other's guts.' We'd bring our steels up to the room, sit down face to face, and show each other things. That's when we worked out the twin solo for 'Silver Threads And Golden Needles' we'd do in concerts. Linda liked the way I played on the ballads, and she liked Ed's playing on the fast tunes. We used to do 'Steel Guitar Chimes' at the end of Linda's set, when she'd walk off." With exception of Ronstadt's album of Nelson Riddle arrangements, What's New, and subsequent big-band concerts, Dugmore has appeared on every album and tour since joining the group 10 years ago. "
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

Judging by the shirt, I think it's David Phillips.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I saw Linda in 1974 at the Armadillo in Austin and she had both Dan,and Ed.When I moved to L.A. Ed had a powder blue Emmons in his house.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Might be John Bidasio. Seems like I remember him telling me that he did some work with Linda.
JE:-)>
Randy Phelps

Post by Randy Phelps »

It looks like Al Perkins.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

It's not Al and it's not Ed. It might be John Bidasio, though. You never really get a clear face shot. But you sure get a shot of the polyester Huckapoo NikNik disco shirt....
btw, that's Andrew Gold on rhythm gtr.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

From Bob Warford, who has the best memory of anyone I know from that time period and is now a lawyer in CA):

Hey Jim - The posts on YouTube are wrong, and I'm relatively sure I would never
have told anyone that the steel player on the Tennessee State Prison video
was Buddy Emmons, as one person claimed. Actually, it was Weldon Myrick.
Incidentally, the drummer was Kenny Buttrey, who died recently...And my now ex-wife, who was/is a hairdresser, did my hair...

(gave Bob a hard time for the "big" 'do.....)

"Huckapoo NikNik disco shirt...."

Skip, I'm stealing that line!
:lol:

PS - Weldon and Buttrey played together in area code 615 I think.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

...it's Buddy Emmons...
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Jim, even though Bob W. was in that video it's definately not Weldon Myrick. Weldon is a 6'6" ex-Texas Highway Patrol dude who weighs almost 300 lbs and can go bear hunting with a switch. From the closeup of the players right hand I'd have to agree with Steve Hinson that it's Buddy Emmons (or a clone of his). Emmons tucks his right ring finger under just like the player on the video. Also, I thought I detected a derby (Emmons' trademark) on him during one of the full band shots
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Jerry is right...it ain't Weldon...it's Buddy.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

There's a bit better shot of the steel player on "Love Has No Pride", which appears to be from the same taping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsQSp-Xfro0

Here's a pdf of a still from that one: http://acs.ist.psu.edu/mudgett/files/ronstadt.pdf

I acknowledge that the pic is a bit grainy, but I see no derby, and it does kinda look like Weldon from that period to me. It is pretty hard to make out from the video, they don't do any real close-ups.
Mike Phillips

Post by Mike Phillips »

well, i dunno who it is from that video, but thanks for posting this and unearthing a treasure trove of Linda Ronstadt videos! man, she was fantastic. thanks YouTube!
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Watched the 2nd clip and I still think it's John Bedasio.
JE:-)>
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

The player is playing a brown mahogony Emmons. Its not Dan or Al. It very well could be Emmons.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Jim S...
You remember those, too?

Doesn't look like Weldon to me...On closer inspection I think it very well may be Buddy.

And...on YouTube there's also a clip from the View with Linda and EmmyLou that has Greg Leisz doing some nice stuff on a ProIII.
Randy Phelps

Post by Randy Phelps »

I contacted Andrew Gold to see if he remembers.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

It's Buddy Emmons playing the "Blade."
tom anderson

Sneaky Pete & other Steelers with Linda

Post by tom anderson »

There is another "Love Has No Pride"-ABC Concert that has some great shots of Sneaky Pete over her shoulder & his take on the song is fabulous-better than the original in my opinion. This video really features Sneaky almost as much as Linda. I wish I could save that footage somehow. I was in love with Linda then-get to see her in another month, but it's with a symphony, so not much chance of a steel.
There is another video of "Crazy" at Jimmy Carter's inaugural that has someone on a Shobud with nice C-6 licks. This stuff is a treasure trove.
OK, I'm not getting any work done, but on "It doesn't matter anymore" there is another steel player with a real good closeup-don't know who it is though.
"Willin" is just a collection of stills, so no video of the Steel Player-not Sneaky Pete though.
"Blue Bayou" from 1977 also has a clear shot of the Steel player on the solo.
The 1974 concert was from a Johnny Cash Special "Behind Prison Walls" if that helps identify the steel player.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

...trust me...it's Buddy Emmons...
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Could it be Danny Pendleton ?
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

She is one gal who can sing in key and on pitch without the help of a good engineer.
Don